Fallen Timbers Battlefield & Fort Miamis NHS
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member bruce-e
N 41° 32.390 W 083° 41.510
17T E 275459 N 4602185
Quick Description: Three great sites just outside of Toledo, Ohio.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 7/10/2013 8:58:22 PM
Waymark Code: WMHH49
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Raine
Views: 8

Long Description:
Fallen Timbers Battlefield NHS

On August 20, 1794, Maj. Gen. Anthony Wayne led troops of the Legion of the United States from their fort at Roche de Bout. The left wing and flanking militia from Kentucky crossed level but poorly drained land containing dense forest and underbrush. After a 5-mile march, the mounted volunteers came upon a line of 1,100 Indian warriors from a confederation of Ohio and Great Lakes Indian tribes. The militia volunteers retreated around the legion's front guard. The front guard returned fire while retreating but eventually fled. The warriors closely pursued the soldiers of the front guard until a light infantry skirmish line forced the Indians to seek shelter amid timbers that had been felled a few years before by a tornado.

The legion's right wing was under heavy fire from the concealed warriors, who broke down an effort to flank them from the river. The left flank of soldiers charged, inflicting heavy casualties on the Indians and driving them from the field. Wayne's scouts tracked the Indians to the mouth of Swan Creek, but they were not engaged. After regrouping his troops, Wayne held his position into the afternoon. With no Indian counter-attack, Wayne set up camp on high ground overlooking the foot of the rapids, within sight of Fort Miamis.

In the following days Wayne's men returned to the battlefield to collect the wounded and equipment. Two officers and 15 to 17 soldiers were buried, but hard soil conditions deterred soldiers from burying more men.

The entire legion marched back through the battlefield on August 23 as they returned to Roche de Bout.

* * * * * *
Fort Miamis NHS

The British, with the support of the Indian Confederation, had constructed Fort Miamis in spring 1794 to hold the Maumee Valley and stop Wayne's advances towards Detroit. It also afforded the British additional means to solidify Indian support against the U.S. settlers moving into the Ohio Territory. The fort consisted of four bastions surrounded by a 25-foot-deep trench lined with rows of stakes. The British also placed 14 cannon in the fort to thwart any attackers.

Despite the promise from the British that the fort would offer protection to the Indians, warriors retreating to the fort were not allowed to enter and instead had to proceed to the mouth of Swan Creek. After the battle General Wayne felt that Fort Miamis was too strong to be forced, and he returned to Roche de Bout.
Address:
501 River Road
Maumee, OH USA
43537


NPS Web Page for this Station: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NPS Passport Cancellation Stations
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
RPStew visited Fallen Timbers Battlefield & Fort Miamis NHS 9/4/2016 RPStew visited it
bruce-e visited Fallen Timbers Battlefield & Fort Miamis NHS 5/18/2012 bruce-e visited it

View all visits/logs