Calvary Church of God in Christ Gargoyles - Fentiman Road, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 28.883 W 000° 07.184
30U E 699989 N 5707293
Quick Description: The square tower at the corner of the church, that is located at the junction of Fentiman and Meadow Roads, has a gargoyle at each corner.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 7/6/2013 11:23:32 AM
Waymark Code: WMHFRW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Norfolk12
Views: 3

Long Description:

The church tower is brick built with a gargoyle at each corner. These are carved from Portland stone and have suffered from some weathering but, in general, their features are still to be seen.  The gargoyles are at a height where they could be used to drain water from the tower of the roof. It has to be assumed that they are still in use as there are no downpipes for rain water.

The church is Grade II listed with the entry at the English Heritage website telling us:

Calvary Church, formerly Methodist Church an Sunday School. 1900-1901, architects George and Reginald Baines. Perpendicular style in red brick with stone dressings and slate roof Church has five bay nave, lower chancel, transepts, south west tower and splayed west porch. South west tower of three stages with crenellated battlements with gargoyles, traceried windows and wooden shutters to bellcote and horizontal bands. Lowest stage has lancet and arched entrance set in comer. West end has massive traceried window with trefoi1s and pinnacles. West porch is splayed at the corners and has two arched entrances flanked by buttresses.

Cinquefoil-headed lights to nave divided by buttresses and transepts have two large traceried windows with roundel with quatrefoil above. Southeast gable with circular window and north east projection to chancel with a lancet window, crenellated parapet and pyramidal roof with finial.

Attached to north west is former Sunday School in matching stlyle and materials. Two storeys with gable on right hand side with traceried window and elaborate ogee-arched doorcase flanked by sidelights and projecting gable to left with triple trefoil window on first floor and four-light bay on ground floor.

Church has ceiling of arch-braced type on stone corbels with ornamental square grilles, west gallery with trefoil design, elaborate carved wooden reredos with cinquefoil motifs, large fretted stone pulpit, curved wood and metal altar rails, original wooden pews and stained glass to windows and doors with unusual sunflower motifs.

Former Sunday School has similar arch-braced roof: stained glass with tulip or lily design and scrolled metalwork balcony. Staircase has iron stick balusters and elaborate column newel. First floor room has original cast iron fireplace with four thin pilasters and panels of floral designs.

The information board outside the church advertises services being held at:

Sunday School 10.45am to noon
Divine Worship 12.00pm to 2.00pm
Evening Worship 7.00 8.30pm

Weekday Services
Wednesday Prayer Meeting 8.00pm - 9.30pm
Friday Youth Fellowship 7.30 - 9.00pm

Water spout is used: yes

Condition: Lightly Weathered

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Gargoyles and Chimeras
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.