Schrunk's Drug Store Sign - Scio, Oregon
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member ddtfamily
N 44° 42.289 W 122° 50.924
10T E 511983 N 4950171
Quick Description: Ghost sign on the Peery Building
Location: Oregon, United States
Date Posted: 7/2/2013 7:05:54 AM
Waymark Code: WMHEV2
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 4

Long Description:
This ghost sign appears on the south wall of the historic Peery Building in downtown Scio. It is difficult to read much of the sign today, but older photos show that it said "Schrunk's Drug Store."

Known historically as the Peery Pharmacy and Masonic Lodge Hall, this Italianate commercial building is located at a prominent corner in downtown Scio. The building is believed to have been constructed by Jackson Bilyeu, who sold the second story to Scio Lodge No. 39, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, in 1902. The Masons occupied the building until 1932. After the Second World War, a Veterans of Foreign Wars post met here for a time. The ground floor was sold to druggist E.C. Peery in 1906, after Peery's burned in a fire earlier that year. Peery sold the business in 1918 to Percy and Dean Schrunk, a father and son who operated a pharmacy here until 1997. Today the building is occupied by an animal hospital.


Note: Click a photo to enlarge

Photo Courtesy of National Register

Current Photo (2013)
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Ghost Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.