St. Swithun, Great dalby, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 43.343 W 000° 54.160
30U E 641645 N 5843451
Quick Description: If it rains on St. Swithun's Day, it will rain for 40 days. Great Dalby, which lies some three miles south of Melton Mowbray, has a population approaching 400. St Swithun's Church dates from the 14th century.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 6/2/2013 3:20:59 PM
Waymark Code: WMH75K
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Jyrki&Sari
Views: 4

Long Description:
Great Dalby (St. Swithun's Church) stands on high ground behind the village pub. There has been a building on the site since 1232 but many changes have beemade in it's 900 year history.

There was a settlement before the Norman Conquest and the name 'Dalby' meaning 'Settlement in the Dale' suggests it was Danish. Not long after the Conquest, the manor was held by Hugh de Anaf, who also held Chaucombe in Northamptonshire. He founded a priory at Chaucombe, to which he gave the church. For several centuries the village was known as Dalby Chalcombe or Chaucombe and the Priory appointed the Vicars.

Over the centuries, the manor of Great Dalby was held either through inheritance or marriage, by Seagraves, Mowbrays (Earls and Dukes of Norfolk), Berkelys and Burdetts

The main documented change, was that the Spire was struck by lightning in 1658 and collapsed into the nave of the church. The damage was unrepaired for several years, whilst money was collected to build a new spire and roof. The money was collected, but the collectors ran off with the money! As a result, the tower was capped to form the unusual structure seen today. The North Aisle was completely destroyed, along with a beautifully carved oak ceiling. Remnants of carved stone can be found in village houses, wall, and gardens - not to mention in the rebuilding of the church.

In a written account of the spire's demise in the parish registers, it was stated that ' The Steeple, being an high spire, fell upon the body of the Church on the 2nd Day of January 1658, and brought to the ground the north aile, and the middle aile, leaving only standing part of the chancel and the south aile. It fell on the very morning of our Lord's Day about one o'clock. It gave us warning all the night before, by stones falling down on the bells. The loss was £1660'.
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.