George J. Stannard - Gettysburg, PA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
N 39° 48.566 W 077° 14.181
18S E 308567 N 4408999
Quick Description: This beautiful, fluted, sixty-foot Corinthian column is topped with a bronze statue of Brigadier General George Jerrison Stannard and pays tribute to the State of Vermont men who fought @ Gettysburg.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 2/24/2013 4:04:35 PM
Waymark Code: WMGF48
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Checkmark
Views: 8

Long Description:

The George Jerrison Stannard (October 20, 1820 – June 1, 1886) was a Vermont farmer, teacher in St. Albans, and a Union general in the American Civil War. Stannard was born in Georgia, Vermont. Stannard also served as a noncommissioned officer during the Vermont militia's activation for the Upper Canada Rebellion in 1838. Just before the American Civil War, he served as Colonel of the 4th Vermont Militia Regiment. After the war, he served as Doorkeeper of the United States House of Representatives. He died in Washington, D.C., and is buried in Lake View Cemetery, Burlington, Vermont.

On July 3, Stannard's Brigade was one of the principal defenders against Pickett's Charge. The Vermonters lost men to sharpshooter fire and to the bombardment preceding the Confederate attack. As the assault approached Cemetery Ridge, Stannard swung two of his regiments (the 13th and 16th Vermont) out at a 90° angle, pouring deadly flanking fire into Brig. Gen. James L. Kemper's brigade, one of the critical factors that defeated the Confederate attack. Minutes later, the unconnected assaults by the Confederate brigades of Brig. Gen. Cadmus M. Wilcox and Col. David Lang approached the Union line to the south of the Vermont Brigade. Stannard once again wheeled two regiments (the 14th and 16th Vermont) and repeated his tactic of flanking fire to repulse the assault. Stannard was wounded in his right thigh by an artillery shell fragment, but stayed on the field until the end of the battle. SOURCE

The Stannard Vermont Brigade/Vermont State Monument is located along Hancock Avenue (RD310), on the right or east side of the road if traveling traveling north, just ahead or north of the Stannard's Brigade Tablet(MN469) and the 16th Vermont Infantry Monument (MN252), which is just below that or more to the south. The monument is also 232 feet northeast from the Major General Winfield S. Hancock Wounded Marker, which is about 136 feet away. The road bends at this area. This area is an absolute beehive of activity as this site represents the best of what Gettysburg has to offer, both historically and monumentally. Parking is plentiful and is available road-side at intermittently enlarged shoulder cut-outs, usually marked with white striping. Be sure to keep vehicles off the grass or you will be ticketed by park police. I visited this monument on Tuesday, August 7, 2012 at approximately 3:11 P.M. I was at an elevation of 573 feet, ASL. I used a Canon PowerShot 14.1 Megapixel, SX210 IS digital camera for the photos.

The Draw the Sword site helped out by the NPS narrative and the SIRIS site offers the following description: At the top of a tall granite column is a bronze sculpture depicting Brig. Gen. George Stannard holding a sword in his proper left hand. At the foot of the column is a square base which rests on a three granite steps. The memorial cost $11,750.00. Monument is a two-part granite shaft topped with a bronze statue of Brigadier General George Stannard and set on a six foot square stepped base. The lower part of the shaft has incised inscriptions and the Vermont coat-of-arms and the upper part is a fluted column with a Corinthian capital. Overall height is 57 feet.

Another well-crafted description was found on the Stone Sentinels site. The monument stands 60' tall. A bronze statue of Brigadier General George Stannard, commander of the Second Vermont Brigade at Gettysburg, stands on a granite base. The front of the base displays a relief of the Coat of Arms of Vermont, with inscriptions on its other three sides about all the Vermont units who were at the Battle of Gettysburg.

The statue shows General Stannard as he appeared after he lost his right arm later in the fighting around Petersburg, the last of three serious wounds he suffered in the Civil War. Stannard is holding his sword in his left hand, and his right sleeve is pinned up. It was debated whether to show Stannard as he was during the battle before he lost his arm, but it was thought fitting to display the sacrifice made by so many soldiers during the Civil War.

The monument was dedicated October 14, 1899 by the State of Vermont. The monument is composed of granite with with the bronze statue and has the following dimensions: The sculpture is 60 feet in height and the base is approximately 17 feet 5 inches in width and 17 feet 5 inches in depth. The statue was sculpted by Karl Gerhardt and the monument was fabricated by Frederick & Field, who fabricated scores of monument about the battlefield. There is a brief inscription on the front as well lengthy inscriptions on the other sides, all of which read:

(Front):
Vermont
in honor of her sons
who fought on this field.

(Right):
First Vermont Brigade:
Second. Third. Fourth. Fifth
and Sixth Regiments:
Brig. Gen. L.A. Grant commanding:
Second Brigade, Second Division, Sixth Corps.
The brigade reached the field
near Little Round Top in the afternoon
of July 2, 1863. By a forced march of
thirty-two miles and soon after
was assigned to the left Union flank
where it held a line from the summit of
Round Top to the Taneytown Road
Until the close of the battle.

(Back):
Second Vermont Brigade:
Twelfth, Thirteenth, Fourteenth,
Fifteenth, and Sixteenth Regiments:
Brig. Gen. George J. Stannard, commanding:
Third Brigade, Third Division, First Corps.
The brigade arrived on Cemetery Hill July 1, 1863. The Twelfth and Fifteenth Regiments were detached to guard the Corps trains. About sunset, July 2, the Thirteenth, Fourteenth and Sixteenth moved to this part of the field retook Battery C, Fifth U.S. and re-established the Union line.

July 3, these regiments held the front line in advance of this spot. In the crisis of the day, the Thirteenth and Sixteenth changed front and advancing 200 yards to the right assaulted the flank of Pickett's Division. The Sixteenth then moved back 400 yards to the left and charged the flank of Wilcox's and Perry's Brigades. The Fourteenth supported these charges. The Brigade captured three flags and many prisoners.

(Left):
First Vermont Cavalry:
First Brigade, Third Division, Cavalry Corps:
This regiment fought Stuart's cavalry at
Hanover, June 30, 1863, oposed Hampton's Cavalry at Hunterstown, July 2, and charged through the First Texas infantry and upon the line of Law's Brigade at the foot of Round Top, July 3.

Vermont Sharpshooters:
Co. F. First U.S.S.; Co's E and H, Second U.S.S..
Second Brigade, First Division, Third Corps
July 2, Company F aided in checking the advance
of Wilcox's Brigade west of Seminary Ridge.
Companies E and H resisted Law's Brigade
west of Devil's Den and upon the Round Tops
July 3, the three companies took part
in the repulse of Pickett's charge.


The Stannard Vermont Brigade/Vermont State Monument is a contributing feature to the Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District which is nationally significant under NR Criteria A, B, C & D. Areas of Significance: Military, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Archeology-Historic. Period of Significance: 1863-1938. The original National Register Nomination was approved by the Keeper March 19, 1975. An update to this nomination was approved by the Keeper on January 23, 2004. The monument is identified as structure number MN250.

From the Nomination Form:
1 of 52 statuary monuments. Indicates near center line position of Stannard's Vermont regiments. Located approx. 300' S of Copse of Trees, E side of Hancock Avenue.

Short Physical Description:
Mn, base 6'sq, stepped. 2 part granite shaft w/ incised inscriptions & VT coat-of-arms 1st part, 2nd part fluted column w/Corinthian capital. Top, bronze statue of Brig. Gen. George Stannard. Approx. 57'H.

Long Physical Description:
Monument is a two-part granite shaft topped with a bronze statue of Brigadier General George Stannard and set on a six foot square stepped base. The lower part of the shaft has incised inscriptions and the Vermont coat-of-arms and the upper part is a fluted column with a Corinthian capital. Overall height is 57 feet. Located on the east side of Hancock Avenue south of the Copse of Trees.


My Sources
1. NRHP Nomination Form
2. SIRIS
3. Stone Sentinels
4. Virtual Gettysburg
5. Draw the Sword
6. Historical Marker Database
7. Wikipedia

Union or Confederacy: Union - North

General's Name: George J. Stannard

Visit Instructions:
  • Describe your visit
  • Photo if possible (photos do not need to be as extensive as those in the waymark description
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. Civil War General Statues
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
wildernessmama visited George J. Stannard - Gettysburg, PA 11/7/2021 wildernessmama visited it
stevepre2 visited George J. Stannard - Gettysburg, PA 7/23/2017 stevepre2 visited it
ChapterhouseInc visited George J. Stannard - Gettysburg, PA 5/24/2015 ChapterhouseInc visited it
walkingwildly visited George J. Stannard - Gettysburg, PA 2/8/2015 walkingwildly visited it

View all visits/logs