Sieben Fußfälle — Hofheim am Taunus, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member prussel
N 50° 05.738 E 008° 26.269
32U E 459790 N 5549414
Quick Description: The transition to the seven prostrations is one of the oldest forms of the Cross, the composition with seven stations is typical for Germany
Location: Hessen, Germany
Date Posted: 10/10/2012 4:06:47 AM
Waymark Code: WMFF7D
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member sfwife
Views: 12

Long Description:

Die Bergkapelle verdankt ihre Entstehung einem Gelöbnis, das die Einwohner Hofheims am 03. Juni 1666 wegen der ringsum wütenden Pest ablegten. Der damalige Pfarrer Johannes Gleidener zog mit seiner Gemeinde in einer Prozession auf den "Rabberg" (Räuberberg), heute Kapellenberg genannt, betete um Verschonung von der Pest und versprach, an dieser Stelle eine Marienkapelle zu bauen und alljährlich am ersten Sonntag im Juli eine Wallfahrt dorthin zu unternehmen.
Ein Jahr später wurde die erste Kapelle vollendet. Bald kamen immer mehr Pilger zu den Wallfahrten, und tatsächlich gab es in Hofheim und den anderen Gemeinde, die sich am Gelübde beteiligt hatten, keinen einzigen Pestkranken. Bis heute ziehen am ersten Sonntag im Juli viele Gläubige aus den katholischen Kirchengemeinden von Hofheim, Münster, Kriftel Zeilsheim und Hattersheim in feierlicher Prozession den Berg hinauf.
Im Jahre 1772 begann mit dem Bau einer neuen, größeren Kapelle, die aber bereits 1795 von plündernden Soldaten zerstört wurde. Von 1851 bis 1857 wurde die Kapelle von Grund auf erneuert und erhielt ihr heutiges Aussehen.
Im den Jahren 1701/02 schuf der Aschaffenburger Bildhauer Antonius Wermerskirch sieben Bildstöcke aus Main-Sandstein, die am Weg zur Kapelle aufgestellt wurden. Seit 1970 stehen die erhaltenen fünf Stationen an den Außenwänden in der Kapelle.
Im Jahre 1916 wurde die Treppe zur Kapelle erbaut und 1980 wurden Abgüsse der Bildstöcke an dieser aufgestellt.

The Bergkapelle (mountain chapel) owes its origin to a vow that the inhabitants Hofheims took off at 03 June 1666 because of the all around raging plague. Pastor Johannes Gleidener moved with his congregation in a procession to the "Rabberg" (Räuberberg), today called Kapellenberg, prayed to be spared from the plague and promised to build at this point a chapel and take a pilgrimage every year on the first Sunday in July.
A year later, the first chapel was completed. Soon more and more pilgrims came, and in fact there was in Hofheim and the other communities who had participated in the vow not a single victim of the plague. Until now, on the first Sunday in July, many faithful of the Catholic parishes of Hofheim, Münster, Kriftel Zeilsheim and Hattersheim go up to the mountain in solemn procession.
In 1772 began the construction of a new, larger chapel that was destroyed in 1795 by marauding soldiers. From 1851 to 1857 the chapel was renovated and received its present appearance.
In 1701/02 the Aschaffenburg sculptor Antonius Wermerskirch created seven shrines made of Main sandstone, which were set up on the way to the chapel. Since 1970 the preserved five stations are on the outside walls of the chapel.
In 1916 the steps up to the chapel were built and in 1980 castings of the shrines were errected beside it.

Quelle / source: Infotafel/info board, Stadt Hofheim, wikipedia

Artist: Antonius Wermerskirch

Date: 1701

Materials: sandstone

Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Enjoy your visit, tell your story and post a picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Outdoor Stations of the Cross
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Yewbacca visited Sieben Fußfälle — Hofheim am Taunus, Germany 7/1/2014 Yewbacca visited it
Cachologen visited Sieben Fußfälle — Hofheim am Taunus, Germany 11/2/2013 Cachologen visited it

View all visits/logs