St Mary The Virgin Church - Stained Glass Windows - Charlton On Otmoor- Oxon
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Norfolk12
N 51° 50.304 W 001° 11.160
30U E 624975 N 5744620
Quick Description: Most of the windows in this lovely church are of stained glass coats of arms but there is a small window with St George fighting the Dragon .
Location: Southern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/19/2012 11:39:00 AM
Waymark Code: WMFABF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 2

Long Description:
details from Wikipedia" Charlton had a parish church by the 11th century. The present Church of England parish church of Saint Mary the Virgin was a 13th century Early English Gothic building but received substantial Decorated Gothic alterations in the 14th century. The east window is slightly later, in the transitional style from Decorated to Perpendicular Gothic. Around the beginning of the 16th century the clerestory and new roof were added to the nave and a new window was added to the south aisle.

In the early 16th century the present rood screen and rood loft (for a crucifix between the chancel and nave) were added to the church. During the English Reformation Edward VI's injunctions of 1547 instructed that rood screens and lofts be removed be removed from all churches in England and Wales. Charlton's screen and loft survived these injunctions, and in the 20th century the critic Jennifer Sherwood judged them "the finest and most complete in the county".
A tradition of garlanding the rood cross with flowers and box greenery on May Day and carrying it in procession around the parish also survived the Reformation and continues in modern times.

In 1846 the Gothic Revival architect G.E. Street re-roofed the church and restored the north wall.
In 1889 the rood screen and loft were restored. St. Mary's has never been over-restored, and its Decorated and Perpendicular mediaeval character has survived almost intact.

By 1553 the bell tower had five bells plus a Sanctus bell, but all have since been recast or replaced. recast it that same year. In the 19th century the Bagley bell survived for a long time with a fracture, but in 1895 its tongue and head fell out.
Mears and Stainbank of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry replaced or recast the broken bell in 1898.
In 1998 the Whitechapel Bell Foundry cast a new treble bell, making the 1789 bell the second bell and increasing the tower to a ring of six bells.
In 1999 the new bell was hung and the old bells re-hung as a project for the village to celebrate the Millennium.John Warner and Sons cast the present Sanctus bell in 1793.

St. Mary's church clock is of unknown date but appears to be late 17th century. Two of the wheels of the going train are characteristic of the work of the clockmaker and bellfounder Edward Hemins of Bicester, which would make them an early 18th century alteration.

St. Mary's is now part of the Church of England Benefice of the Ray Valley."
Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
St Mary the Virgin
High Street
Charlton On Otmoor, Oxon United Kingdom


Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Days of Operation: daily - keyholdler available

Hours of Operation: From: 10:00 AM To: 5:00 PM

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
JollyJax visited St Mary The Virgin  Church -   Stained  Glass Windows - Charlton On Otmoor- Oxon 7/13/2014 JollyJax visited it