Zion Reformed Church Windows - Winesburg, OH
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
N 40° 37.000 W 081° 41.626
17T E 441315 N 4496436
Quick Description: This white frame church building was dedicated in 1871 as the Evangelical United Zion Church, serving the German and Swiss Lutherans who settled in Holmes County, Ohio. It is now a Presbyterian Church (PCA). The windows were added in 1955.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 7/11/2011 1:51:17 AM
Waymark Code: WMC0EW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Norfolk12
Views: 1

Long Description:
This landmark building was one of the first erected in Winesburg, Ohio, and has continued to serve the community for 140 years. It is of simple, white wooden frame design with a bell tower and steeple.

A plaque mounted in front of the church in 1930 is a tribute to some of the early pioneers who settled this region. Many immigrants from Germany and Switzerland, bringing their Reformed Lutheran faith, settled in central Ohio, which is now the heart of the states flourishing Amish communities.


TO THE MEMORY OF
THE FIRST SETTLERS AND PIONEERS
OF WINESBURG, OHIO
WHO CAME HERE TO CONQUER
A WILDERNESS. THEY POSSESSED
LOFTY COURAGE, HIGH IDEALS, RUGGED
CHARACTER AND STAUNCH VIRTUES
FIRST SETTLEMENT MADE IN SPRING OF
1827

BORN
1803
1862
1796
1799
1782
1797
1787
1795
1790
1817
1819

REV. WILLIAM SMITH
JOHN MICHAEL SMITH
FREDERICK HAPPOLD
DR. AUGUST SCHEURER
JOHN VALENTINE STAHL
CHRISTIAN SMITH
PETTER SCHALLIOLL, SR.
ULRICH BLASER
REV. DANIEL CRANZ
DR. CARL PETER
NICHOLAS F. JOSS
DIED
1839
1866
1883
1839
1854
1872
1868
1872
1876
1882
1886

ERECTED BY
THE WINESBURG REUNION ASSOCIATION
AUGUST 21, 1930

Here are some excerpts of the church history from a document found on Roots Web:

"Holmes County was settled in the decade between 1820 and 1830, and many German and Swiss immigrants began moving into the eastern portion of the county, inspired by the beauty of the rolling hills, the huge trees, the crystal springs and the rich soil.

History credits four young "bachelors", arriving from Philadelphia, PA., with being the first to settle on the site where "Weinsburg" was officially laid out in 1832. OnSeptember 3, 1832, a meeting was held for the purpose of discussing a plan for a church. Land was donated by Christian (Schmidt) Smith for a church and cemetery, at the present site.

The cornerstone for the first church building was laid on October 11, 1833, but it was not completed and dedicated until 1841. Rev. Colloredo had been elected to be the church's first pastor, and served until 1836. He was succeeded by the Rev. Daniel Cranz, who pastored the growing congregation for 32 years.

In 1869, the congregation voted to build a new structure on the site of the old. During construction, services were held in the school. About 4,000 visitors were present for the dedication on Sept. 24th and 25th, 1871. The new building served the congregation well for many years. A major renovation in 1949 expanded the basement to include classrooms, a kitchen and restrooms. In 1955 the sanctuary was renovated, adding stained glass windows. Since that time the steeple has been replaced."

Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
2089 Main St.
Winesburg, OH United States
44690


Days of Operation: Sunday

Hours of Operation: From: 9:00 AM To: 1:00 AM

Admission Charge: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.