Middletown Academy (NC-144) - Middletown, DE
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
N 39° 27.089 W 075° 43.038
18S E 438284 N 4367125
Quick Description: This marker is outside of the old academy.
Location: Delaware, United States
Date Posted: 8/11/2010 4:53:44 PM
Waymark Code: WM9F1F
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Ernmark
Views: 7

Long Description:
"In 1824 area residents petitioned the general assembly for a lottery to erect a building for education and public worship. Construction of the academy began in 1826 and was completed the next year. For many years the building served as the center of community activities. Previously a private institution, it became a part of the public school system in 1876. The school was closed in 1929. The building was deed in 1945 to the St. Georges Hundred Historical Society, an organization formed to ensure its preservation. In 1960 the property was acquired by the town of Middletown. Since then building has been used for a variety place, the facility has been utilized by a number of municipal agencies and community organizations."
Visit Instructions:
Please include a picture of the sign with your GPS in the picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Delaware Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
bluesnote visited Middletown Academy (NC-144) - Middletown, DE 8/11/2010 bluesnote visited it