Skirmish At St. Mary's ~ "Victory or Death"
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member garmin_geek
N 38° 48.155 W 077° 19.634
18S E 297909 N 4297442
Quick Description: Virginia Civil War Trails marker on the grounds of St. Mary's Catholic church, Fairfax Station, VA.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 7/8/2010 6:27:23 PM
Waymark Code: WM97AF
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 8

Long Description:
"Monday, August 8, 1864, was a hot and sultry day. Capt. John McMenamin of the 13th New York Volunteer Cavalry and Capt. James Fleming of the 16th New York Volunteer Cavalry had stopped at St. Mary’s church on Ox road. (now Fairfax Station Rd.), Fairfax. Their command of 60 troopers was resting, eating supper and feeding their horses.
Shortly after 5 p.m., vedettes sounded the alarm that Confederate cavalry were approaching, coming north on the Ox Rd. (now Vogue Rd). The Union troopers mounted their horses and formed a line of battle. The left wing was at the front door of the church, and the line extended across the Ox Rd. facing south. The Confederates proved to be 39 Partisan Rangers of the 43rd Battalion of Virginia cavalry led by Col. John S. Mosby. Mosby’s men crossed the railroad tracks and rode toward the church, forming a line 150 yards south of the Federals.
Mosby rode back and forth in front of his men shouting, “Come on men, victory or death!” The Federals fired their carbines sporadically causing several of their horsed to bolt and disrupt their line. Seeing this, Mosby and his men charged with pistols blazing. None of Mosby’s men carried carbines or sabers, only six shot revolvers. All had two, and some had four. The Union line broke and fled in disorder and was chased as far as Fairfax Courthouse. When it was over, five Union troopers were dead, including Capt. Fleming, eight were wounded and twenty were captured. Mosby also captured 39 horses. Three of Mosby’s Rangers were reported wounded. Capt. Fleming is buried in an unmarked grave in the Falls Church Cemetery, Falls Church.
St. Mary’s church was built in 1858 by Catholic immigrants from Ireland."
Type of site: Battlefield

11033 Fairfax Station Road
Fairfax, VA USA

Admission Charged: No Charge

Website: [Web Link]

Phone Number: Not listed

Driving Directions: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Post a picture of site showing the signage or other notable feature. Please tell what you saw or learned.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Civil War Discovery Trail Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.