White's Mill - Abingdon, VA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member vhasler
N 36° 46.089 W 081° 59.274
17S E 411833 N 4069607
Quick Description: 1820's grist mill now open for public viewing located 4.2 miles north of Abingdon
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 3/23/2010 10:07:01 AM
Waymark Code: WM8EXX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member tiki-4
Views: 1

Long Description:
Per Geocache GC12MGQ "Down By The Old Mill" placed near here by Konnarock Kid & Marge, we learn:

John Lewark constructed a water powered mill for Thomas Moffett in the early 1790's. Located on the current site of White's Mill, this early operation witnessed the influx of settlers traveling the "Great Road" through Abingdon and westward. Forest land was cleared for crop use resulting in an increased need for milling capacity. So began the history of milling on the headwaters of Toole's Creek in Washington County, Virginia.

Historical experts speculate that the present mill was built late in the 1820's. The strongest evidence leading to this conclusion is the lack of hand made (rose head nails) throughout the mill. Prior to the invention of machinery to mass produce "cut nails" all nails were made by the blacksmith which resulted in a rose pattern on the hammered head; thus a clue that dates the current building to post circa 1820's.

James White was a local merchant who was involved in salt production (Saltville), lead mining (Austinville) and in iron ore mining (Brumley Gap). County tax records show an increase in accessed tax value between 1836 and 1838. Following James White's death, his son W.Y.C. White continued to operate the mill until the early 1900's. It was during this period the name White's Mill originated.

Scott Miller purchased the Mill in 1922 and it remained in the Miller family until 1989. Many of the features around the property were constructed by Tom Miller. It should be noted that the mill served as a Post Office and polling place up until the early 1940's. Tom's son Guy operated the mill as a tourist attraction with trout ponds for 20 years. In addition, Guy Miller continued to custom grind corn and livestock feed. Following his death in 1989, the mill was sold to ownership outside the area. After 1989 it operated on a limited basis until 1999 during which time its upkeep and condition declined severely.

In March 2001 the White's Mill Foundation purchased the mill and surrounding property. The Foundation is currently engaged in a large restoration of the mill.

Over the years, many, many changes and renovations have been made. The four-story, 5,000 square foot timber frame structure is an historic example of milling and the evolution of milling equipment.

The White's Mill is on both the National and Virginia register of Historic Places. The mill was listed on the National Register in 1974.


From the website for the nonprofit link,
Hours: Wednesday-Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed January and February

The cornmeal is available for $3/bag - and also sold at area Food Country, Food City, and the Good Earth Market stores.

Current Status: Still In Use

Current Use: Cornmeal - white and yellow, plain and self-rising

Visit Instructions:
Provide a picture of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Water Mills
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.