Historic Hawkestone
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kevings
N 44° 29.835 W 079° 28.052
17T E 621833 N 4928245
A history of the settlement of Hawkestone.
Waymark Code: WM8CMK
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 03/12/2010
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 5

Historic Hawkestone (Hodges' Landing)

First Nation Indians had long established encampments and trails on the bank of the creek, the Ridge Road, and throughout the Township. In the 1830s Richard Hodges established a landing for settlers, mainly from the British Isles, who after arriving by lake steamer followed these trails to their settlement in search of independence and land ownership.

Hodges' wharf, where the steamers docked, and his large house called St. Helen's (1844) were the focus of activity. There remains evidence of two underground tunnels from the lake to Hodges' cellar and a hidden stair case from the cellar to the top floor. Some children who died on route to their parents' settlement were buried on the property. In 1940, the property was sold by Hodges' granddaughter for $2500 to the Canadian Council for girl Guides.

A thriving community of a tavern, hotel, a store and the first post office was located near the lake east of the creek.. The postmaster was Charles Bell. Two dams and 3 mills sawed logs and ground grain. It is thought that the first mill was established by John Williamson who subsequently built the large brick house on the NE corner of the Ridge Road and Line #11. In 1865 a new wharf was constructed and the name was changed from Hodges' Landing to Hawkstone.

During 1871 the railroad reached Hawkestone. An extensive "station" evolved with a freight shed, stockyards, and a massive water tower to supply the requirements of steam engines. Many types of products were shipped out, and supplies shipped in. The last CN train passed through in September 1996. In 1998 the railway land through the township was acquired by Council for a shared us recreational trail.

After the railway went through Hawkestone the village developed north of the station. It was made up of numerouos taverns, hotels, stores (including Priddle's store and T.A. Stone's Store which survives today as the Hawkestone General Store), gas stations, ice houses, weigh scales, 2 banks, a firehall also known as Metcalfe's hall, and a complement of trades - tailor, harness maker, and blacksmith.

Note how the "centre" of Hawkestone shifted as transportation changed from lake steamer to rail.

The Township of Oro-Medonte
Ian Beard, Mayor
July 1, 2001 A Millennium Project
With the generous participation of the Simcoe County Council, and Historical Association
Group that erected the marker: Township of Oro-Medonte

URL of a web site with more information about the history mentioned on the sign: [Web Link]

Address of where the marker is located. Approximate if necessary:
375 11th Line South
Hawkestone, ON Canada
L0L 1T0

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, preferably including yourself or your GPSr in the photo. A very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo. In any case please provide a description of your visit. A description of only "Visited" or "Saw it while on vacation" by anyone other than the person creating the waymark may be deleted by the waymark owner or the category officers.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Signs of History
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
DougandSandra visited Historic Hawkestone 06/08/2012 DougandSandra visited it