Ancienne chartreuse de Champmol, Le Puits de Moïse - Dijon
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member RakeInTheCache
N 47° 19.266 E 005° 01.013
31T E 652411 N 5242820
Quick Description: [FR] Le Puits de Moïse, chef d’oeuvre de la sculpture médiévale dû à Claus Sluter, a fait l’objet d’une récente restauration exemplaire. [EN]The Well of Moses is a monumental sculpture recognised as the masterpiece of the Flemish artist Claus Sluter.
Location: France
Date Posted: 11/22/2009 12:31:23 PM
Waymark Code: WM7QC4
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Chris777
Views: 9

Long Description:
[FR] Le puits de Moïse ne constitue que la base d'un calvaire qui se dressait au centre d'un puits situé au milieu du cloître de la chartreuse, cloître aujourd'hui disparu et dont le tracé est évoqué par des pelouses autour de l'édicule qui protège le monument depuis le XVIIe siècle. Sur la base du calvaire était placé un christ en croix, dont le buste est conservé au musée archéologique (une copie en est également visible rue Condorcet, dans une niche). Il était flanqué d'une statue de saint Jean et de la Vierge Marie qui ont également disparu. On peut se faire une idée (approximative) de l'aspect d'origine en allant voir le calvaire qui se trouve sur la terrasse arrière de l'hôpital général. En l'état, le monument reste remarquable, car il conserve les portraits en pied et en ronde-bosse de six prophètes de l'Ancien Testament, surmontés d'anges représentés dans une attitude de tristesse ou de lamentation. Chaque prophète est fortement individualisé, et tient un phylactère comprenant un texte tiré des écritures. Les visages sont réalistes, vraisemblablement inspirés de vieillards d'une communauté juive contemporaine. La noblesse est marquée dans les traits de ces hommes, que des attributs permettent de reconnaître (cornes pour Moïse, lyre pour David, ...).

[EN] It was executed by Sluter and his workshop in 1395–1403 for the Carthusian monastery of Chartreuse de Champmol built as a burial site by the Burgundian Duke Philip the Bold just outside the Burgundian capital of Dijon, now in France.

The work was executed for Philip’s son, John the Fearless (1371-1419), in a style combining the elegance of International Gothic with a northern realism, but with a monumental quality unusual in either. It was carved from stone quarried in Asnières, France and consisted of a large crucifixion scene or "Calvary", with a tall slender cross surmounting a hexagonal base which was surrounded by the figures of the six prophets who had foreseen the death of Christ on the Cross (Moses, David, Jeremiah, Zachariah, Daniel and Isaiah). Standing on slender colonnettes on the corners between these prophets are six weeping angels. All the figures, including the lost Calvary group, were richly painted and gilded by Jean Malouel, and some of this paint remains. Thanks to the survival of the ducal accounts, the commission and ongoing work is unusually well documented. It was traditionally assumed that the Calvary scene would have included the Virgin Mary, Mary Magdalen, and St. John, though recent research (based on a close reading of the archives and an examination of the fixing-points on top of the base) suggests that there was only one figure, the Magdalen, embracing the foot of the Cross.

Situated in the central courtyard of what was then the main cloister, the building enclosing the well was added in the 17th century, when the upper parts of the work were already suffering from weather damage. The work was further damaged in 1791, during the French Revolution. Only fragments of the Crucifixion survive, including the head and torso of Christ; they are now housed in the Musée Archéologique in Dijon. The hexagonal base with its sculptures remains in what is now the Hospital de la Chartreuse, and can be seen by tourists.

Dénomination de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): établissement conventuel

Localisation (from Merimee DB): Dijon

Siècle de la campagne principale de construction (from Merimee DB): 4e quart 14e siècle ; 1er quart 15e siècle ; 17e siècle ; 18e siècle ; 2e quart 19e siècle

Date de versement de la notice (Merimee DB): 1/1/1840

Relevant Website: [Web Link]

Photo with MH logo pictured included?: no

Adresse de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Précision sur la protection de l'édifice (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Référence de la notice (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[EN] Include at minimum a complete sentence which reflects your experience visiting the site and upload a photo taken by you at the site.

[FR] Ecrivez au moins une phrase complète qui décrira votre expérience lors de la visite et téléchargez une photo du site prise par vous.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Monuments Historiques Français
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.