Faith United Methodist Church Windows - Canal Winchester, OH
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
N 39° 50.484 W 082° 48.387
17S E 345441 N 4411715
Quick Description: These windows are in one of two Methodist churches, dating from 1902, in the historic town of Canal Winchester, Ohio. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 7/4/2009 10:02:05 PM
Waymark Code: WM6PVP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member TheBeanTeam
Views: 1

Long Description:
A history of the church from their web site

Our beginnings were first recorded in the History of Madison Township, written by George F. Bareis and published in 1902. He wrote about Rev. James Gibruth and Andrew Murphy of the Worthington circuit serving as circuit ministers in Winchester beginning in 1838. Each circuit consisted of several places of worship scattered throughout a given area. The lay person or minister would ride on horseback from place to place spreading the gospel. This is how Methodism was introduced to the colonies. In fact, John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, started ministerial circuit riding in England. Rev. Wesley’s portrait is found in the art glass of our sanctuary.

From 1838 until 1850 members of Faith met on alternate weeks in the United Brethren meeting house. Then in 1850 a new building was erected on West Street. In 1878 it was enlarged and remodeled with the vestibule and tower being added. In the summer of 1901 it was decided to erect a new church building and a site was secured on West Street near High street. The cost of the lot was $350. In October of 1901, Architect J.C. Gault submitted plans for a 50 X 50 structure for the estimated sum of $4,267.00. The plans were accepted and the foundation was laid during October and November as preparatory to building the structure in the spring of 1902. The new building was next improved in 1920 when the original gaslights were replaced by electricity.

Two world wars touched lives of Faith UMC. In the fall of 1916 Rev. Frank Gillilan became pastor. Quoting his record during the World War the Canal Winchester circuit responded to every call with men, money and time. Our churches were closed for several weeks because coal could not be secured to heat the buildings. Following the scarcity of coal came the awful scourge of the flu. For two winters it was impossible to carry on successful church work because of the epidemic.

Rev. Stanley Jeffrey arrived in June 1941. Quoting from his pastoral report during the midst of WWII: “We can do without rubber, but we can’t do without repentance; we can do without sugar, but we can’t do without salvation; we can do without gasoline, but we can’t do without God; we can do without washing machines, but we can’t do without worship.”

Thirty-three ministers served us from 1850 to 1900, and seventeen from 1900-1950. On November 19, 1950 we celebrated our 100th anniversary of the first church having been built.

(visit link)
Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
15 W. Columbus St.
Canal Winchester, OH United States
43110


Days of Operation: Sunday

Hours of Operation: From: 9:00 AM To: 5:00 PM

Admission Charge: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.