St. Ann Catholic Church - Mamou, LA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member scrambler390
N 30° 38.067 W 092° 25.167
15R E 555634 N 3389233
Quick Description: Once a mission church for Ville Platte, St. Ann's became a parish in 1914. Located in Mamou, on 6th St.
Location: Louisiana, United States
Date Posted: 4/28/2009 6:34:07 PM
Waymark Code: WM69MH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 1

Long Description:
Here is a complete parish and church history, taken completely from the Official Parish website, located here
In the early 1900’s, Mamou was a mission of Ville Platte, served by priests from both Eunice and Ville Platte. During this period, the Eucharist was celebrated in the homes of Simeo (Mayo) Vidrine and Dorsin Aucoin. Between 1910-1912 $1,400 the community raised to build a church. On November 14, 1913 the Archdiocese of New Orleans appointed Fr. Auguste Viel (born November 28, 1864 in Breton, France) as the First Pastor of the soon to be erected Parish of St. Ann’s in Mamou. (Note: the Diocese of Lafayette was not established until January 11, 1918. Consequently, Archdiocese of New Orleans extended from the Mississippi State line to the Texas State Line along the southern tier of Louisiana. Mamou was still under the pastoral care of the Archdiocese of New Orleans at the time. The only other Diocese established in Louisiana prior to 1918 was the Diocese of Natchitoches established July 29, 1853. On August 6, 1910, Alexandria replaced Natchitoches as the Cathedral City of that Diocese and became known as the Diocese of Alexandria.) St. Ann’s became a Church parish on January 15, 1914. St. Ann was chosen as the name for the Church parish by Fr. Auguste Viel. Church was built on the site where present church is located. In 1915 the Rectory, Church office and pastor's residence, was built. In 1924, a new Church was built. In 1928, Fr. Viel was transferred as Pastor of St. Ann’s, Mamou to serve as Pastor of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart in Church Point, LA. Fr. Fidele Chiasson replaced Fr. Viel. That same year, the Church completely destroyed by fire, possibly caused by lightning. Only the Statue of the Blessed Mother was saved. That same statue is now placed on the north side (right side) of the Altar. Following the fire, the Eucharist was celebrated in the original 1914 Church. In January 1936, another fire burned the original 1914 Church and the Rectory, possibly caused by sparks from the Rectory fireplace. Again the Blessed Mother’s Statue was saved. That same year, a new Church was built. Then, in 1943 Fr. J. Albert LeBlanc became Pastor (after serving as Assistant in Franklin, Louisiana for 5 years). He was 32 years old when he became Pastor. In 1955, the present brick church was completed. On July 26, 1955, the Feast of St. Ann, the Eucharist was celebrated in the new church for the first time. Later on June 3, 1956, St. Ann’s Church dedicated.
Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 01/15/1914

Date of building construction: 01/01/1955

Archdiocese: New Orleans

Diocese: Lafayette

Address/Location:
716 6th Street
Mamou, LA USA
70554


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.