Capleville Methodist Church - Capleville, TN
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Cordova Dave
N 35° 01.218 W 089° 53.706
16S E 235843 N 3879126
Quick Description: Capleville Methodist Church is located at 5053 E. Shelby Drive in Capleville (Memphis), Tn
Location: Tennessee, United States
Date Posted: 3/20/2009 9:38:59 PM
Waymark Code: WM6299
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 4

Long Description:
Capleville Methodist Church is located in Shelby County, Tennessee. It was certified as a historic location on Tuesday April 3, 1979. This location is a protected historic place because of historical significance relating to Religion, more specifically a Religious Structure. Capleville Methodist Church was nominated by as a historic location by State Government based on Architecture/Engineering and its significance in Architecture.

The Capleville Methodist Church had the heritage of four churches of this denomination that preceded it in the community. The first records of Methodist meetings in this area were known as the Union Church and occurred in 1849. Those meetings were held in a house. In 1850 the congregation moved to a log house known as McCroskey’s School. The next year the membership selected the name Bethlehem for a church they planned to build. They continued to meet in McCroskey’s School until the building was completed in 1857. Until they moved to the new building they were known as McCroskey’s Church. The fourth church was the Capleville Church.

Though it is not noted in the source text what date the Capleville Church came into existence, it does note that in October 1897 the membership of that church was thirty-five. Also mentioned is that though Bethlehem Church and Capleville Church were not on the same circuit, there were three pastors that served both churches at different times.

For several years there was talk of uniting Bethlehem and Capleville into one church. On February 29, 1920 there was a combined meeting of the congregations at Capleville High School. Plans were made for the construction of a brick building and a suitable lot was acquired. Both church buildings were disposed of. The frame building being used by Capleville Church eventually ended up being used by the Baptists. The financing of the new building was accomplished by donations from the membership and people in the community.

The cornerstone for the Capleville Methodist Church was laid on March 22, 1921. Appropriate services were conducted by the Reverend J.M. Jenkins who was assisted by Dr. T.E. Sharp who was the presiding elder. The church was dedicated on May 27, 1923 by Bishop H.A. Boaz. In 1926 the parsonage was built on the church grounds.

The source text only goes through 1951, so it does not state at what date the Capleville Methodist Church stopped being used by the Methodists. Research indicates that the building is currently being used by The Hope of Glory Deliverance Ministry, Church of God in Christ (COGIC). They started using the building in 1999.

Text Source: Capleville Methodist Church, Bethelehem-Capleville, 1851-1951 (courtesy of Memphis Heritage; www.memphisheritage.org)

Street address:
5053 E. Shelby Drive
Memphis, TN USA
38118


County / Borough / Parish: Shelby County

Year listed: 1979

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Early church in Capleville and the Architecture/Engineering of the building.

Periods of significance: 1900-1923

Historic function: Religious

Current function: Religious

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 1: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.