John Dickinson Dopf Mansion - Rock Port, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 40° 24.706 W 095° 31.139
15T E 286266 N 4476507
Quick Description: Historic Second Empire style house in Rock Port, Missouri.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 12/9/2008 7:04:06 PM
Waymark Code: WM5AY1
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member sfwife
Views: 17

Long Description:

"The Dopf mansion is a fine example of French Second Empire Victorian Style. The house was designed by a Chicago architect, J. Manz , and built by D. A. McArther. It is significant architecturally because its date (1876) links it to the Governor's Mansion in Jefferson City, which was built in 1872 and was one of the earliest examples of the Second Empire Style to appear in Missouri. It is of similar architectural style. The Dopf mansion is an early example of Victorian style architecture in northwest Missouri, and is the only one of its kind in the Rock Port community...

John D. Dopf was born in Platteville, Wisconsin, on July 18, 1839. As a young man, he served as a printer's apprentice. In 1860, he moved to Polo, Illinois, where he published a newspaper for a few months. In the spring of 1862, he moved to St. Louis, where he served as manager of the Missouri State Printing Office. The next year, in 1863, he moved to Rock Port and established The Atchison County Journal. He served as Atchison County Surveyor from 1864 to 1870.He had a real estate business, and he played an active role in promoting emigration to the new lands that were available in Atchison County. He was a partner in the bank which is now The Bank of Atchison County. He and his wife, Mary, bought the land for their new house on May 28, 1866. They had three surviving children. "He was a person who was foremost in every good cause, and is highly esteemed by all that knew him."

During the 1930's, the house was converted into four apartments, which destructively altered the original plan of the house. The apartments were given the name of "The Hillcrest".  Original hardware, light fixtures, and some window glass were lost during this period.

In July, 1979, the house was purchased by Ralph E. Kiene, Jr., architect, and Mr. Robert L. Woodbury, developer, who undertook the task of restor ing the building to its original, plan. Mr. Kiene, a practicing architect in Kansas City, was schooled in the Beaux-Arts traditions of architecture, and considered it a professional challenge to restore the house to its original splendor. He was able to successfully stimulate the workers to a level of craftsmanship demanded for such an intricate job as this. Every effort was made to insure the authenticity of the restoration, but create a livable residence. Restoration was completed in 1980." - National Register Nomination Form

Public/Private: Private

Year Built: 1876

Web Address: [Web Link]

Tours Available?: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

Category Visiting Requirements


An original photo is necessary to log a visit in this category along with a description of the visit. No extra visit requirements are allowed by the waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Victorian Style Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.