Quaker Meeting House - Duffin's Creek
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Luc & Sweety
N 43° 51.346 W 079° 02.893
17T E 656862 N 4857704
Quick Description: This Quaker Meeting House is located at the corner of Kingston Rd. and Mill Street in Pickering Village.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 8/14/2008 6:24:16 PM
Waymark Code: WM4EZY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member LowellHouseGuy
Views: 61

Long Description:
In 1812, Timothy Rogers (1756-1827), a Quaker settler, envisioned the Village of Duffin's Creek (now Pickering Village) as the center of the Quaker yearly meeting in Canada. Quaker meetings were first held in his log home. Later, he donated 2 acres of his farm for a meeting house and burial ground (located across Mill Street).

The first meeting house was built c1819 followed by a new 2 storey frame structure c1833-34. The present red brick structure was built in 1866-67 at a cost of $6,000. This meeting house was opened on June 28th 1867 with the first session of the Canada Yearly Meeting (Orthodox) Quakers. Representatives gathered from various parts of Canada, The United States, England and Ireland. In 1878 Pickering College was opened and managed by the Canada Yearly Meeting (Orthodox) Quakers as a co-educational institution. The college was situated across the road from the meeting house on a hill. Unfortunately this institution was destroyed by fire in 1905. It was relocated to Newmarket.

As the closely knit Quaker religious community was not dependent on professional clergy, Quakers were able to fully enjoy their faith in the pioneering era. Worship in the Society of Friends (Quakers) is based on silent expectant waiting, speaking only when moved by the spirit of god. In accordance with the Historic Quaker Peace Testimony, young Quakers participated in the Friends Ambulance Unit during and after the second World War.

The architecture of the building in not typical of other Ontario Meeting Houses which are traditionally of single storey frame construction. The Pickering Meeting House has been altered since it was built. This structure exhibits simple American classical revival features and architectural preciseness in its' symmetry. The semi-circular arched front door provides a focal point and establishes the importance of the building's function. A gable roof preceded the present hip roof, but it was destroyed by fire after the building was struck by lightning in 1908. Early records of the meeting house and library were lost. The detailed but unadorned common bond brickwork and the round headed window openings suggest the restraint, the solidity and the dignity of the Quaker way of life.

This meeting house and the Society of Friends (Quakers) burial ground, where Timothy Rogers is buried, are reminders of our Quaker heritage established early in the settlement of Pickering Township.
Physical Address:
Kingston Rd & Mill Street
Pickering Village, ON Canada
unsure


Year Built: 1866-67

Still in Use?: Yes

Web Address: Not listed

Hours of Worship: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
1. The waymark coordinates must be personally visited.
2. Give the date and a description of your visit
3. Post at least one photo taken at the time of your visit
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Quaker Meeting Houses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
mTn_biKer65 visited Quaker Meeting House - Duffin's Creek 9/6/2012 mTn_biKer65 visited it
Canadianzombie visited Quaker Meeting House - Duffin's Creek 2/10/2012 Canadianzombie visited it
entogeek visited Quaker Meeting House - Duffin's Creek 8/22/2010 entogeek visited it
GPS Derek visited Quaker Meeting House - Duffin's Creek 7/3/2010 GPS Derek visited it
Skyecat visited Quaker Meeting House - Duffin's Creek 6/29/2010 Skyecat visited it
Luc & Sweety visited Quaker Meeting House - Duffin's Creek 8/14/2008 Luc & Sweety visited it

View all visits/logs