Blacksmith, Tabernacle, NJ
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member 94RedRover
N 39° 50.617 W 074° 42.632
18S E 524765 N 4410440
Quick Description: By the intersection of Carranza Road and Medford Lakes road, once stood the site of the town blacksmith shop.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 6/14/2008 6:05:35 PM
Waymark Code: WM400M
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member chstress53
Views: 17

Long Description:
In the mid 1700s, iron, charcoal and glass industries were aplenty in the south Jersey pine barrens. The Speedwell Furnace, opened in 1785 by Benjamin Randolph led to the eventual founding of Tabernacle Township.

The crossroads at Tabernacle became an area for local commerce and meeting. A schoolhouse, church, general store, blacksmith and inn were built.

Charles S. Kemble was the blacksmith of the shop that stood on this site, just across from the Kemble Inn. Other blacksmiths known to have practiced here were Gilbert Knight, Henry Allen, and William Cutts.

Marker Name: Site Of

Marker Type: Local? Unofficial

Marker text:
Site Of Blacksmith Shop Most necessary in Colonial Times, date erected unknown. Blacksmiths were Charles Kemble, Gilbert Knight, Henry Allen and William Cutts.


Dedication Date: 01/01/1970

City: Tabernacle

County: Burlington

Group responsible for placement: Tabernacle Historical Society

Web Link: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site', please ALSO provide a detailed description of your visit so we can form a 'mental image'
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest New Jersey Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
nikcap visited Blacksmith, Tabernacle, NJ 10/9/2008 nikcap visited it
Math Teacher visited Blacksmith, Tabernacle, NJ 6/6/2008 Math Teacher visited it

View all visits/logs