Chilhowie Methodist Church- Chilhowie, Virginia
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member UberHOKIE
N 36° 48.244 W 081° 40.794
17S E 439349 N 4073353
Quick Description: The history of the Church dates back to the early 1800's when there was a Sulphur Springs Church and meeting ground. I begin the history in the 1890's when it was decided to move the church from Sulphur Springs to Chilhowie
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 6/7/2008 8:53:24 AM
Waymark Code: WM3YKT
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 17

Long Description:
The Construction of the Church...

In 1893, a lot had been obtained on Old Stage Road and preparation for the move began...

Residents of those times remembered that the building was literally moved, leaving only some of the foundation stones of the old brick church. The brick of the old building was used under the brick of the new structure. The walnut balcony railing of the old church is now the railing of the altar in the sanctuary. We are told that some of the wainscoting in the sanctuary was from the Sulphur Spring Church. One of a pair of marble topped flower stands believed to have been from the old church is in use in the vestibule.

Brick for the town church was pressed in the brick plant in Chilhowie and was intended for the Norfolk and Western Railroad Station in Lynchburg, Virginia. The builders there were not pleased with the color of the brick and it was rejected. The brick company then offered the golden brown brick to the church on the condition that the plant workers donate their labor. The offer was accepted and work on the church began in 1893.

The original church building consisted of only the present vestibule and sanctuary. The source of the cruciform plan, Late Gothic Revival style is unknown. However, considering the interest shown by the local brick plant, it is reasonable to speculate that the superintendent, Mr. E.J. Rutland, a native of Sheerness, England influenced the plan which was prominent in England at that time. Mr. Rutland designed his own unusual residence with mansard roof which was built in 1892 and still stands near the church on Old Stage Road. The builder most likely in charge of the construction was Mr. Richard Bennet, a skilled craftsman of the time whose parents are listed on the early Sulphur Springs Church roll.



Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 01/01/1894

Age of Church building determined by?: Cornerstone or plaque

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Methodist

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Sunday

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: 11:00 AM

Street address of Church:
501 Old Stage Road
Chilhowie, Va USA
24319


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.