South Side School - Sarasota, FL
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sfwife
N 27° 18.505 W 082° 31.906
17R E 348431 N 3021525
Quick Description: Beautiful old school in Sarasota County.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 1/18/2008 5:33:37 PM
Waymark Code: WM302R
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 54

Long Description:
From the historical marker:

Southside School opened its doors to 170 students January 11, 1926, one of several schools builtin Sarasota County's land boom of the 1920's. These schools included two richly ornamented Mediterranean Revival style elementary schools along the new Tamiami Trail, Southside and Bay Haven. They were inspired by Italian and Spanish Renaissance architecture, and both were the work of Tampa architect M. Leo Elliot, who also designed the Gothic Revival style Sarasota High School. Southside featured open hallways around an interior courtyard, a barrel tile roof and separate arched portals to boys' and girls' playgrounds. On opening day, Southside School was located south of the city limits in the center of what was called "South Side School Subdivision" created in 1925 by the Board of Public Instruction.
Doris Brownell was Southside's first principal. During her administration the school's first PTA was organized and the school lunch program was started.

Sarasota's land boom was short-lived. Within months of Southside's completion, land values dropped. Sarasota's economic base rapidly declined, and the population dwindled. During the Great Depression which followed, Sarasota schools suffered. By 1933 Southside and the rest of the city's schools were closed for lack of money. Only those students who could afford tuition were allowed to return. Enterprising students developed money-making schemes. Coat hangers and cola bottles were collected and odd jobs were sought. During these hard times elementary students were permitted to attend classes barefooted.

After WWII Sarasota experienced renewed economic vitality and dynamic growth. By 1952 the population soared to 22,000 and Southside underwent the first of many expansions and improvements to meet continuing growth and changing needs. The school facilities later expanded to include a student-designed playground, a one-quarter mile track, a botanical garden, an outside stage and a media center.
Street address:
1901 Webber St
Sarasota, FL USA


County / Borough / Parish: Sarasota

Year listed: 1984

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1925-1949

Historic function: Education

Current function: Education

Privately owned?: no

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
debbado visited South Side School  -  Sarasota, FL 10/6/2012 debbado visited it
TheGeoGnomes visited South Side School  -  Sarasota, FL 8/21/2010 TheGeoGnomes visited it
BONSAIRAD visited South Side School  -  Sarasota, FL 2/21/2010 BONSAIRAD visited it
sfwife visited South Side School  -  Sarasota, FL 2/5/2008 sfwife visited it

View all visits/logs