Richard Chute Square
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers
N 44° 59.214 W 093° 15.365
15T E 479812 N 4981527
Quick Description: The University of Minnesota's first building, a preparatory school, was located on this site from 1851 until the University moved to its present location in 1855.
Location: Minnesota, United States
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 9:41:30 PM
Waymark Code: WM2MPF
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 62

Long Description:
When the city of Minneapolis acquired the land for a park in 1903, it was named in honor of businessman Richard Chute, an early University of Minnesota regent and a director of the St. Anthony Waterpower Company.

The Ard Godfrey House, which was owned by the Chute family from 1880 until its purchase by the Hennepin County Territorial Pioneers Association in 1905, was moved to Chute Square in 1909. The building was operated as a museum by the Pioneers Association until 1943. Restored and furnished by the Woman's Club of Minneapolis, the Godfrey House was reopened to the public in 1979. The kitchen wing, demolished in 1908, was rebuilt in 1985 with funds raised by Woman's Club members and a generous grant from Boisclair Corporation.
Marker Type:: City

Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site'.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Minnesota Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
model12 visited Richard Chute Square 3/23/2009 model12 visited it