Fort Desoto Batteries (Battery Laidley and Battery Eglow)
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ChapterhouseInc
N 27° 36.933 W 082° 44.167
17R E 328683 N 3055819
Quick Description: Small Fort on a large grounds--now a county park. Take a walking tour of the fort complex during your visit.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 7/21/2007 5:23:05 AM
Waymark Code: WM1WHR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member snfromky
Views: 40

Long Description:
In 1849, Brevet Col. Robert E. Lee (the famous American Civil War commander) and three other US Army Engineers surveyed the area and recommended Mullet and Egmont Keys become fortified. Both keys could only be reached by boat, since they were islands off the mainland. Union troops were stationed on the two keys during the Civil War (1861–1865) to aid in the Union blockade of Tampa Bay. The keys were again abandoned by the military and in 1882 military reservations were officially created on the two keys. Nothing was constructed there, however.

Hillsborough County established a quarantine station on the eastern side of Mullet Key in 1889. It became known as Mullet Key Quarantine Station. The Marine Hospital Service took over jurisdiction of the station in 1901. The duty of the station was to inspect aliens aboard ships arriving from foreign ports. By 1925 the station operated with fifteen buildings. The quarantine station operated until 1937, when the Public Health Service transferred its operations there to Gadsden Point, near Tampa.

Interior of historic Fort DesotoThe main operation on Mullet Key, however, became Fort De Soto in 1900, named for Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto. The Army post was officially a subpost of Fort Dade, which was constructed on Egmont Key. These posts were to contain batteries of artillery and mortars to protect Tampa Bay from any invading forces. Construction of Fort De Soto began in November 1898 and was completed in 1906. The foundation was constructed of a shell concrete formula and the walls and ceiling used a shell, stone and concrete mix. The main attractions at the completed post were the artillery and mortar batteries, Batteries Laidley and Bigelow. The post consisted of 29 buildings. The post's features included a large barracks, a hospital, a guardhouse, a blacksmith and carpenter shop, an administration building, and mess hall with kitchen, a bakery, and astorehouse. The site also had brick roads, concrete sidewalks and a narrow-gauge railroad to aid in moving materials and supplies around the post.

The post was active from 1898 to 1910. At least one company was present at Fort De Soto at all times and many times several units were present. Mosquitoes were a constant problem and the post was very hot in the summers.

In 1910 most troops were moved to Fort Morgan, Alabama. Only a caretaker force remained. By 1914 only a sergeant and game warden remained at the post. Through most of World War I a larger caretaker force was at the post, usually with about 22 privates, two noncommissioned officers and two commissioned officers. In 1917 four of the post's mortars were disassembled and shipped to Fort Rosecrans, in San Diego, California.

Two of the four 12-inch M1890-M1 mortarsIn November 1922 the Army announced it would soon close both Forts De Soto and Dade. On May 25, 1923, the forts were officially abandoned and only one caretaker remained at each post. A number of tropical storms and hurricanes severely damaged the buildings on the post. A few were destroyed, as was Battery Bigelow in 1932. The Army attempted to sell the post, but there was little interest. In September 1938 Pinellas County bought the areas on Mullet Key for $12,500.

Two years later the War Department decided it wanted Mullet Key back for use as a bombing range. In June 1941 the key was purchased back from Pinellas County for $18,404 and turned into a subpost of MacDill Field. In 1948 Pinellas County again purchased the key and it permanently remained county property.

In 1962 a toll road, the Pinellas Bayway (formerly State Road A19A, now SR 682), was completed to the mainland, enabling island visitors to arrive by car. On December 21, 1962, Fort De Soto Park opened. On 11 May 1963, Fort De Soto Park was officially dedicated. Its facilities have been expanded over the years. The quartermaster storehouse was reconstructed to become the Quartermaster Storehouse Museum. On December 2, 1977, the Fort De Soto batteries were placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

In 2005, Fort Desoto was given the honor as top beach in America by Dr. Beach.
Street address:
3500 Pinellas Bayway S.
Tierra Verde
Tierra Verde, FL usa
33715


County / Borough / Parish: Pinellas

Year listed: 1977

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event

Periods of significance: 1875-1899, 1900-1924

Historic function: Defense: Fortifications

Current function: Defense: Fortifications

Privately owned?: no

Hours of operation: From: 7:00 AM To: 7:00 PM

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Castor007 visited Fort Desoto Batteries (Battery Laidley and Battery Eglow) 5/21/2019 Castor007 visited it
ddtfamily visited Fort Desoto Batteries (Battery Laidley and Battery Eglow) 9/12/2012 ddtfamily visited it
debbado visited Fort Desoto Batteries (Battery Laidley and Battery Eglow) 11/28/2011 debbado visited it
"the3turtles" visited Fort Desoto Batteries (Battery Laidley and Battery Eglow) 6/5/2009 "the3turtles" visited it
sfwife visited Fort Desoto Batteries (Battery Laidley and Battery Eglow) 11/27/2008 sfwife visited it
DangerousDale visited Fort Desoto Batteries (Battery Laidley and Battery Eglow) 7/14/2007 DangerousDale visited it
ChapterhouseInc visited Fort Desoto Batteries (Battery Laidley and Battery Eglow) 6/2/2007 ChapterhouseInc visited it

View all visits/logs