Old Courthouse – Drumheller, AB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 51° 27.868 W 112° 43.090
12U E 380648 N 5702877
Quick Description: [EN] The building faces north and is a two-story buff-colored brick and concrete structure. [FR] Le bâtiment fait face au nord et est une structure de deux étages en brique et béton de couleur chamois.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 10/1/2022 12:17:32 AM
Waymark Code: WM16T86
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member RakeInTheCache
Views: 0

Long Description:

The building is situated on landscaped grounds on the west side of the center of Drumheller. The north facade has a slightly projecting limestone section with the entrance on the first floor. There is a canopy over the entrance. The roof line is flat. The Old Courtroom is located on the east side of the second floor. The building is currently vacant.

"Description of Historic Place
The Drumheller Courthouse is a two-storey building clad in yellow brick. The façade features eight symmetrical bays of one-over-one double-hung wooden sash windows and sandstone spandrels, separated by a larger, slightly-projecting sandstone bay. The central bay features ganged windows situated over a flat canopy that extends over a central entrance block. A metal cast of the provincial coat of arms and ‘1954’ are attached to the wall on either side of the aluminum double front doors. The building is situated at 703 – 2 Avenue West in a residential neighbourhood in Drumheller, near the Red Deer River.

Heritage Value
The heritage value of the Drumheller Courthouse rests in its reflection of the growth and expansion of Alberta’s judicial system after World War Two. It is further significant as an early, excellent and highly intact example of the dramatic shift in Alberta courthouse architecture in the 1950s.

The construction of the Drumheller Courthouse in 1954 was part of a larger program of courthouse construction initiated in the 1950s to address the urgent need for more space and modern facilities for the province’s justice system. The need by the early 1950s was quite urgent – the business of Alberta’s court system grew dramatically after World War Two, driven in large part by the province’s rapid population growth and explosive natural resource development. The problem was exacerbated by the government’s neglect of the previous two decades, as Alberta had devoted few resources to courthouse construction, maintenance and modernization during the Great Depression and World War Two. The Drumheller Courthouse was one of the first new courthouses built during this post-war expansion, and strongly reflects the need for modern new facilities to meet the demands of a dynamic, growing province.

The building’s design and construction reflects a dramatic and important shift away from the architectural style typical of courthouses in pre-World War Two Alberta. Early twentieth-century courthouses were often monumental in form and scale with heavy classical detailing, emphasizing the permanence, solidity and strength of the justice system. Such an emphasis was symbolically very important in the 1910s and 1920s, as Alberta transitioned from the fluid conditions of frontier settlement to stable economic development and urban growth. This emphasis on historicism to emphasize stability and permanence was much less relevant after World War Two, as a confident, dynamic province looked to the future rather than the past for its architectural design. The Drumheller Courthouse is in line with forward-looking post-war aesthetics, which emphasized the simplification of forms, the elimination of historically-derived architectural details, and the use of materials to express the structure of a building. At the same time, the design of the courthouse does not entirely abandon the essential classical revival design elements that characterized earlier examples, such as the Red Deer Courthouse. These elements include the symmetrical façade; the prominent main entrance featuring the cast metal (possibly aluminum) Alberta Coat of Arms; and the vertical bays created by the windows and spandrels, echoing the pilasters and columns of earlier courthouses. The Drumheller Courthouse is a modern building that achieves a dignified blend of elements typical of early post-World War Two courthouses in Alberta. Source: Alberta Culture and Tourism, Histoirc Resources Management Branch (File: Des 2332)

Character-Defining Elements
Key elements that define the heritage value of the Drumheller Courthouse include such elements as its:
· Scale, form and massing;
· yellow brick with sandstone detailing;
· one-over-one double-hung windows;
· central sandstone-clad entrance block, prominent from the main façade, with aluminum double doors and extending flat canopy over the entrance;
· cast of grey metal Alberta Coat of Arms and ‘1954’ flanking the main doors;
· ganged windows above the front entrance.
· marble panelling in main entrance foyer;
· painted wrought iron bannisters and wooden handrails;
· original light fixtures located in the foyer and corridors and ventilation covers located in the courtrooms;
· original wood panelling throughout, especially detailed in the courtrooms and judges’ chambers;
· terrazzo flooring in stairwells and hallways;
· glass partition and service counter on the main floor."

Sources : The Courthouse

Photo goes Here

Le bâtiment est situé sur un terrain paysager du côté ouest du centre de Drumheller. La façade nord a une section calcaire légèrement en saillie avec l'entrée au premier étage. Il y a un auvent au-dessus de l'entrée. La ligne de toit est plate. L'ancienne salle d'audience est située du côté est du deuxième étage. Le bâtiment est actuellement vacant.

"Description du lieu historique
Le palais de justice de Drumheller est un bâtiment de deux étages recouvert de briques jaunes. La façade comporte huit baies symétriques de fenêtres à guillotine en bois à double guillotine et d'allèges en grès, séparées par une baie en grès plus grande et légèrement en saillie. La baie centrale comporte des fenêtres jumelées situées sur un auvent plat qui s'étend sur un bloc d'entrée central. Un moulage en métal des armoiries provinciales et « 1954 » est fixé au mur de chaque côté des doubles portes avant en aluminium. L'immeuble est situé au 703 – 2 Avenue West dans un quartier résidentiel de Drumheller, près de la rivière Red Deer.

Valeur patrimoniale
La valeur patrimoniale du palais de justice de Drumheller réside dans son reflet de la croissance et de l'expansion du système judiciaire de l'Alberta après la Seconde Guerre mondiale. Il est en outre important en tant qu'exemple précoce, excellent et très intact du changement radical de l'architecture des palais de justice de l'Alberta dans les années 1950.

La construction du palais de justice de Drumheller en 1954 faisait partie d'un programme plus vaste de construction de palais de justice lancé dans les années 1950 pour répondre au besoin urgent de plus d'espace et d'installations modernes pour le système de justice de la province. Le besoin au début des années 1950 était assez urgent - les affaires du système judiciaire de l'Alberta ont connu une croissance spectaculaire après la Seconde Guerre mondiale, en grande partie en raison de la croissance démographique rapide de la province et du développement explosif des ressources naturelles. Le problème a été exacerbé par la négligence du gouvernement au cours des deux décennies précédentes, car l'Alberta avait consacré peu de ressources à la construction, à l'entretien et à la modernisation des palais de justice pendant la Grande Dépression et la Seconde Guerre mondiale. Le palais de justice de Drumheller a été l'un des premiers nouveaux palais de justice construits au cours de cette expansion d'après-guerre et reflète fortement le besoin de nouvelles installations modernes pour répondre aux exigences d'une province dynamique et en pleine croissance.

La conception et la construction du bâtiment reflètent un changement radical et important par rapport au style architectural typique des palais de justice de l'Alberta d'avant la Seconde Guerre mondiale. Les palais de justice du début du XXe siècle étaient souvent de forme et d'échelle monumentales avec de lourds détails classiques, soulignant la permanence, la solidité et la force du système judiciaire. Un tel accent était symboliquement très important dans les années 1910 et 1920, alors que l'Alberta passait des conditions fluides de la colonisation frontalière à un développement économique stable et à une croissance urbaine. Cet accent mis sur l'historicisme pour souligner la stabilité et la permanence était beaucoup moins pertinent après la Seconde Guerre mondiale, car une province confiante et dynamique se tournait vers l'avenir plutôt que vers le passé pour sa conception architecturale. Le palais de justice de Drumheller est conforme à l'esthétique d'après-guerre tournée vers l'avenir, qui mettait l'accent sur la simplification des formes, l'élimination des détails architecturaux d'origine historique et l'utilisation de matériaux pour exprimer la structure d'un bâtiment. En même temps, la conception du palais de justice n'abandonne pas entièrement les éléments essentiels de conception néo-classique qui caractérisaient les exemples antérieurs, comme le palais de justice de Red Deer. Ces éléments incluent la façade symétrique ; l'entrée principale proéminente ornée des armoiries de l'Alberta en métal coulé (peut-être en aluminium); et les baies verticales créées par les fenêtres et les écoinçons, faisant écho aux pilastres et aux colonnes des anciens palais de justice. Le palais de justice de Drumheller est un bâtiment moderne qui réalise un mélange digne d'éléments typiques des palais de justice du début de l'après-guerre en Alberta. Source : Alberta Culture and Tourism, Histoirc Resources Management Branch (Dossier : Des 2332)

Éléments caractéristiques
Les éléments clés qui définissent la valeur patrimoniale du palais de justice de Drumheller comprennent des éléments tels que :
· Échelle, forme et masse ;
· brique jaune avec détails en grès ;
· fenêtres à guillotine double une sur une ;
· le bloc d'entrée central revêtu de grès, proéminent depuis la façade principale, avec des doubles portes en aluminium et un auvent plat s'étendant au-dessus de l'entrée ;
· moulage des armoiries de l'Alberta en métal gris et « 1954 » flanquant les portes principales ;
· fenêtres jumelées au-dessus de l'entrée principale.
· lambris de marbre dans le hall d'entrée principal ;
· rampes en fer forgé peint et mains courantes en bois ;
· luminaires d'origine situés dans le foyer et les couloirs et couvercles de ventilation situés dans les salles d'audience ;
· boiseries d'origine partout, particulièrement détaillées dans les salles d'audience et les chambres des juges ;
· revêtements de sol en terrazzo dans les cages d'escalier et les couloirs;
· cloison vitrée et comptoir de service au rez-de-chaussée."

Sources : Le Palais de justice

Style: Art Deco

Structure Type: Government

Architect: Public Works Department

Date Built: 1953 - 1954

Supporting references: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the building. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Art Deco - Art Nouveau
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Old Courthouse – Drumheller, AB 10/1/2022 pmaupin visited it