Tempio Malatestiano - Rimini - ER - Italy
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member CADS11
N 44° 03.600 E 012° 34.199
33T E 305369 N 4881407
Quick Description: The Tempio Malatestiano is the unfinished cathedral church of Rimini,
Location: Emilia–Romagna, Italy
Date Posted: 7/5/2022 3:33:14 PM
Waymark Code: WM16D84
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 10

Long Description:
The Tempio Malatestiano (Italian: Malatesta Temple) is the unfinished cathedral church of Rimini, Italy. Officially named for St. Francis, it takes the popular name from Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, who commissioned its reconstruction by the famous Renaissance theorist and architect Leon Battista Alberti around 1450.

History
San Francesco was originally a thirteenth-century Gothic church belonging to the Franciscans. The original church had a rectangular plan without side chapels, with a single nave ending with three apses. The central one was probably frescoed by Giotto, to whom is also attributed the crucifix now housed in the second right chapel.

Malatesta called on Alberti, as his first ecclesiastical architectural work, to transform the building and make it into a kind of personal mausoleum for him and his lover and later his wife, Isotta degli Atti. The execution of the project was handed over to the Veronese Matteo di Andrea de' Pasti, hired at the Estense court. Of Alberti's project, the dome that appears in Matteo's foundation medal of 1450—similar to that of the Pantheon of Rome and intended to be among the largest in Italy—was never built. Also the upper part of the façade, which was supposed to include a gable end, was never finished, though it had risen to a considerable height by the winter of 1454, as Malatesta's fortunes declined steeply after his excommunication in 1460 and the structure remained as we see it, with its unexecuted east end, at his death in 1466. The two blind arcades at the side of the entrance arch were to house the sarcophagi of Sigismondo Pandolfo and Isotta, which instead are now in the interior.

Works for the renovation of the nave began some five years before those of the exterior shell that encases the church. Marble for the work was taken from the Roman ruins in Sant'Apollinare in Classe (near Ravenna) and in Fano.
From: (visit link)
Codice di catalogo nazionale: 0800163046

Pagina del catalogo nazionale: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
[IT]
- Fornisci almeno una foto del sito che hai scattato.
- Scrivi almeno una frase sulla tua visita al sito.

[EN]
- Provide at least one photo you have taken of the site.
- Write at least one sentence about your visit to the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Italian Cultural Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
CADS11 visited Tempio Malatestiano - Rimini - ER - Italy 9/16/2022 CADS11 visited it