de oude school - de Bilt, NL
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member PetjeOp
N 52° 06.298 E 005° 10.873
31U E 649382 N 5774957
Quick Description: Oud schoolgebouwtje uit 1652. Het bestond uit maar 1 klaslokaal waar in het begin 35 (en later zelfs 130) leerlingen zaten
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Date Posted: 5/16/2022 8:35:27 AM
Waymark Code: WM1666W
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
Views: 3

Long Description:
"In 1652 werd behalve de kerk ook het huis van de koster gebouwd, die ook schoolmeester was. De school die daarin gevestigd was, bestond uit een lokaal van 5,5 bij 6,5 meter, waar aanvankelijk 35 leerlingen les kregen. Met de groei van het dorp steeg het aantal kinderen wel tot 125 en toen was de ruimte wel erg klein. De kinderen konden niet worden afgeleid door de buitenwereld want de vloer (eerst plavuizen, later klinkers) lag lager dan de omgeving en de ramen waren gedeeltelijk afgeschermd.

Bij de school was ook een stal en een bijgebouwd secreet (toilethuisje), maar je moest naar buiten om er te komen. Er was een schoorsteen in het lokaal, dus het werd in de winter verwarmd. In vergelijking met de andere dorpen in de provincie was dat een luxe situatie.

De koster leerde de kinderen letters en cijfers. Het was niet voor alle kinderen hetzelfde onderwijs: de ouders betaalden 4 stuivers per maand voor lezen, 61/2 stuiver voor lezen en schrijven en 10 stuivers als er ook rekenen in het pakket zat.

In de zomer was er een paar maanden geen school. De koster zei dat hij er niet voor betaald werd en het is waarschijnlijk dat de kinderen op het land hielpen."
(visit link)


"De Oude School
De Oude School is een van de oudste gebouwen van De Bilt. De school werd gebouwd op grond die bij het voormalige Vrouwenklooster behoord heeft.

Het gebouw dateert uit 1652 en werd tegelijk gebouwd met de Dorpskerk. Het was lange tijd de enige school van het dorp.

De Biltse kleuters werden sinds 1846 in eerste instantie eveneens in de Oude School opgevangen Het gebouw werd echter door het toenemende leerlingenaantal te klein. Er werd een aparte kleuterschool, De Biltse Bewaarschool, gebouwd.

Behalve school was De Oude School ook de schoolmeesters woning. En aangezien de schoolmeester tegelijk ook koster was kon die woning ook kosterswoning genoemd worden. De eerste schoolmeester/koster was Jan Jansz. Leerhaef. Hij begon met een klas van ongeveer 35 leerlingen. De laatste leraar die in De Oude School heeft lesgegeven was G.D. Enderlé. Anno 1844 waren er ongeveer 150 leerlingen.

Die pasten niet meer in het gebouw en er moest een groter onderkomen worden gezocht. De Biltse school verhuisde in 1845 naar de verbouwde rijtuigenfabriek van Soeders aan de Dorpsstraat vanouds Steenstraat, thans nummer 25. Dat pand was in 1844 verbouwd tot raadzaal, schoollokaal, onderwijzerswoning en cachot

In 1846 kocht het kerkbestuur van de Nederlands-hervormde kerk het leeggekomen schoolgebouw en vestigde er een bewaarschool in. Tot 1873 bleef de bewaarschool in het pand gehuisvest.

De Oude School is in de loop der jaren diverse malen uitgebreid en verbouwd. Het pand is in 1981-1982 op initiatief van de toenmalige Historische Stichting Oostbroek en De Bilt gerestaureerd. Het bestaat thans uit enkele appartementen. Het voorste (en oudste) gedeelte ging na 1982 onderdak bieden aan de Historische Stichting Oostbroek en De Bilt.

Deze stichting (tegenwoordig Van Ewijck Van Oostbroek en De Bilt Fonds) heeft de Historische Kring D’Oude School (opgericht in 1992) de gelegenheid gegeven om het pand te gebruiken voor vergaderingen en andere bijeenkomsten.

Er worden tegenwoordig in De Oude School o.a. muzieklessen gegeven . Al is het dus niet meer een school in de normale betekenis van het woord, er vinden wel educatieve activiteiten plaats!"
(visit link)

Eng
"In 1652, in addition to the church, the house of the sexton was also built, who was also a schoolmaster. The school that was located there consisted of a room of 5.5 by 6.5 meters, where initially 35 students were taught. As the village grew, the number of children rose to 125 and then the space was very small.The children could not be distracted by the outside world because the floor (first tiled, later clinker bricks) was lower than the surroundings and the windows were partially screened .

The school also had a stable and an attached secretariat (toilet house), but you had to go outside to get there. There was a chimney in the room, so it was heated in the winter. Compared to the other villages in the province, this was a luxury situation.

The sexton taught the children letters and numbers. It was not the same education for all children: the parents paid 4 stuivers a month for reading, 61/2 stuivers for reading and writing and 10 stuivers if the package also included math.

In the summer there was no school for a few months. The sexton said he was not paid for it and it is likely that the children were helping on the land."
(visit link)

"The Old School
The Old School is one of the oldest buildings in De Bilt. The school was built on land that belonged to the former Women's Monastery.

The building dates from 1652 and was built at the same time as the Dorpskerk. For a long time it was the only school in the village.

The Biltse toddlers were initially also taken care of in the Old School since 1846. However, the building became too small due to the increasing number of students. A separate kindergarten, De Biltse Storage School, was built.

In addition to being a school, De Oude School was also the schoolmaster's home. And since the schoolmaster was also a sexton at the same time, that house could also be called a sexton's house. The first schoolmaster / sexton was Jan Jansz. leatherhaef. He started with a class of about 35 students. The last teacher to teach in The Old School was G.D. Enderle. In 1844 there were about 150 students.

They no longer fit in the building and larger accommodation had to be found. The Biltse school moved in 1845 to the renovated carriage factory of Soeders on the Dorpsstraat, which was formerly Steenstraat, now number 25. In 1844, that building was converted into a council chamber, schoolroom, teacher's house and jail (see former town hall).

In 1846 the church board of the Dutch Reformed Church bought the vacant school building and established a kindergarten in it. The nursery school remained in the building until 1873.

The Old School has been expanded and renovated several times over the years. The building was restored in 1981-1982 on the initiative of the then Historical Foundation Oostbroek and De Bilt. It currently consists of several apartments. After 1982, the front (and oldest) part housed the Historical Foundation Oostbroek and De Bilt.

This foundation (now Van Ewijck Van Oostbroek and De Bilt Fund) has given the Historic Circle D'Oude School (founded in 1992) the opportunity to use the building for meetings and other gatherings.

Nowadays music lessons are given in De Oude School, among other things. Although it is no longer a school in the normal sense of the word, educational activities do take place!"
(visit link)

More information can be found
(visit link)
Year the school first opened.: 5/15/1652

Is the schoolhouse still open as a school?: no

Address:
Burgemeester de Withstraat 31
de Bilt,


Web Address (if available): [Web Link]

Does the school offer 19th century classroom reenactments or day camps?: no

Original or Re-creation?: Not listed

Year the school closed.: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
You must post a photo with your detailed description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest One-Room Schoolhouses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
PetjeOp visited de oude school - de Bilt, NL 5/22/2022 PetjeOp visited it