NGI Meetpunt 32B58C1 - Sint-Pieterskerk - Leuven, Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 52.777 E 004° 42.059
31U E 619662 N 5637816
Quick Description: [EN] It is the only one, together with the Magistral Church-Cathedral of Los Santos Niños in Alcala de Henares, to be able to bear the title of Magistral Church. [FR] Elle est la seule, avec l'Église Magistrale-Cathédrale de los Santos Niños à Alcala de Henares, à pouvoir porter le titre d'Église Magistrale. [NL] Het is de enige die, samen met de Magistrale Kerk-kathedraal van Los Santos Niños in Alcala de Henares, de titel Magistrale Kerk mag dragen.
Location: Vlaams-Brabant, Belgium
Date Posted: 8/12/2021 12:23:47 AM
Waymark Code: WM14QXM
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member dreamhummie
Views: 0

Long Description:

" She is the only one, with the Magistral Church-Cathedral of Los Santos Niños in Alcala de Henares, to be able to bear the title of Magistral Church, which implies that all her canons are professors at the University of Louvain.

The church stands between the Grand-Place (Grote Markt) and the Place Mathieu de Layens (Mathieu de Layensplein), opposite the Town Hall of Louvain, a masterpiece of civil Gothic architecture.

The current Gothic church, built in the 15th century, succeeded a Romanesque church from the 11th century. According to some authors, construction work on the Gothic building began between 1400 and 1420 while others place the start of work around 1425, under the leadership of Sulpitius van Vorst.

The choir was built by Sulpitius van Vorst and completed in 1434. Jan II Keldermans succeeded Sulpitius van Vorst after the latter's death in 1439 and worked on the south arm of the transept as well as on the nave.

After the death of Keldermans in 1445, Mathieu de Layens (Matthijs de Layens) became chief architect of the church from 1448 to 1483: he completed the transept and continued construction work on the nave. In 1497, Alart Duhameel undertook the construction of the southern portal overlooking the Grand-Place.

During all this time, the Romanesque western massif remained in place, even after the fire which struck it in 1458. A project for a Gothic western massif by Joos Metsys was retained in 1505. This project provided for a central tower 168 m high flanked by two side towers 136 m high. The works were started in 1507 but had to be stopped in 1541 because of financial problems and instability of the subsoil. After a collapse in 1570, the western massif was reduced in 1613 to its current height for security reasons.

The Saint-Pierre church has been classified as a historical monument since April 19, 1937 and is included in the inventory of the real estate heritage of the Flemish Region under the reference 42127. Since 1999, its belfry has also been listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List, along with the other "belfries of Belgium and France"."

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here

"Elle est la seule, avec l'Église Magistrale-Cathédrale de los Santos Niños à Alcala de Henares, à pouvoir porter le titre d'Église Magistrale, ce qui implique que tous ses chanoines sont professeur à l'Université de Louvain.

L'église se dresse entre la Grand-Place (Grote Markt) et la place Mathieu de Layens (Mathieu de Layensplein), face à l'Hôtel de ville de Louvain, chef-d'œuvre de l'architecture gothique civile.

L'église gothique actuelle, bâtie au XVe siècle, succéda à une église romane du XIe siècle. Selon certains auteurs, les travaux de construction de l'édifice gothique auraient commencé entre 1400 et 1420 tandis que d'autres placent le début des travaux vers 1425, sous la conduite de Sulpitius van Vorst.

Le chœur fut édifié par Sulpitius van Vorst et terminé en 1434. Jan II Keldermans succéda à Sulpitius van Vorst après la mort de ce dernier en 1439 et travailla au bras sud du transept ainsi qu'à la nef.

Après le décès de Keldermans en 1445, Mathieu de Layens (Matthijs de Layens) devint architecte en chef de l'église de 1448 à 1483 : il termina le transept et continua les travaux de construction de la nef. En 1497, Alart Duhameel entreprend la construction du portail méridional donnant sur la Grand-Place.

Durant tout ce temps, le massif occidental roman resta en place, même après l'incendie qui le frappa en 1458. Un projet de massif occidental gothique de Joos Metsys fut retenu en 1505. Ce projet prévoyait une tour centrale haute de 168 m flanquée de deux tours latérales hautes de 136 m. Les travaux furent entamés en 1507 mais durent être arrêté en 1541 pour cause de problèmes financiers et d'instabilité du sous-sol. Après un effondrement en 1570, le massif occidental fut réduit en 1613 à sa hauteur actuelle pour des raisons de sécurité.

L'église Saint-Pierre fait l'objet d'un classement au titre des monuments historiques depuis le 19 avril 1937 et figure à l'inventaire du patrimoine immobilier de la Région flamande sous la référence 42127. Depuis 1999, son beffroi est également inscrit sur la liste du patrimoine mondial de l'UNESCO, avec les autres "beffrois de Belgique et de France". "

Sources : L'Eglise

Photo goes Here

"Zij is de enige, met de Magistrale Kerk-Kathedraal van Los Santos Niños in Alcala de Henares, die de titel Magistrale Kerk mag dragen, wat inhoudt dat al haar kanunniken professoren zijn aan de Universiteit van Leuven.

De kerk staat tussen de Grote Markt (Grote Markt) en het Mathieu de Layensplein (Mathieu de Layensplein), tegenover het stadhuis van Leuven, een meesterwerk van de burgerlijke gotische architectuur.

De huidige gotische kerk, gebouwd in de 15e eeuw, volgde een Romaanse kerk uit de 11e eeuw op. Volgens sommige auteurs is tussen 1400 en 1420 begonnen met de bouw van het gotische gebouw, terwijl anderen onder leiding van Sulpitius van Vorst rond 1425 met de werkzaamheden begonnen.

Het koor werd gebouwd door Sulpitius van Vorst en voltooid in 1434. Jan II Keldermans volgde Sulpitius van Vorst op na diens dood in 1439 en werkte zowel aan de zuidarm van het transept als aan het schip.

Na de dood van Keldermans in 1445 werd Mathieu de Layens (Matthijs de Layens) van 1448 tot 1483 hoofdarchitect van de kerk: hij voltooide het transept en zette de bouw van het schip voort. In 1497 ondernam Alart Duhameel de bouw van het zuidelijke portaal dat uitkijkt op de Grote Markt.

Al die tijd bleef het Romaanse westmassief op zijn plaats, zelfs na de brand die het in 1458 trof. Een project voor een gotisch westmassief van Joos Metsys werd in 1505 behouden. Dit project voorzag in een centrale toren van 168 m hoog geflankeerd door twee zijtorens van 136 m hoog. De werken werden gestart in 1507 maar moesten in 1541 worden stopgezet vanwege financiële problemen en instabiliteit van de ondergrond. Na een ineenstorting in 1570 werd het westelijke massief in 1613 om veiligheidsredenen teruggebracht tot zijn huidige hoogte.

De Sint-Pieterskerk is sinds 19 april 1937 geklasseerd als historisch monument en is opgenomen in de inventaris van het vastgoederfgoed van het Vlaamse Gewest onder de referentie 42127. Sinds 1999 staat het belfort ook op de Werelderfgoedlijst van UNESCO Erfgoedlijst, samen met de andere "belforten van België en Frankrijk"."

Sources : de Kerk

Reference of this Benchmark:
Grote Markt 1
Leuven, Vlaams-Brabant Belgium
3000


Type: Verheven punt

Lambert2008 X coordinate: 673,401.00

Lambert2008 Y coordinate: 674,403.00

Condition: Perfect

Visit Instructions:

The requirement for logging this Waymark will be at least shoot the most beautiful picture you are ever shot at the Benchmark point.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Belgium Benchmarks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited NGI Meetpunt 32B58C1 - Sint-Pieterskerk - Leuven, Belgium 8/12/2021 pmaupin visited it