Chiesa di S. Maria in Vallicella - Roma, Lazio
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member denben
N 41° 53.892 E 012° 28.147
33T E 290057 N 4641571
Quick Description: Santa Maria in Vallicella, also called Chiesa Nuova, is a church located at 134 Via del Governo Vecchio in Rome, Italy. The main entrance is on the Piazza della Chiesa Nuova.
Location: Lazio, Italy
Date Posted: 8/6/2021 3:41:48 PM
Waymark Code: WM14PHB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 2

Long Description:
Santa Maria in Vallicella is the principal church of the Oratorians, a religious congregation of secular priests, founded by St Philip Neri in 1561 at a time in the 16th century when the Counter Reformation saw the emergence of a number of new religious organisations such as the Society of Jesus (Jesuits), the Theatines and the Barnabites.

St. Gregory the Great built the first church on the site. By the 12th century, it was dedicated to Santa Maria in Vallicella ("Our Lady in the Little Valley").

In 1575, Pope Gregory XIII recognised Neri's group as a religious Congregation and gave them the church and its small attached convent.

St. Philip Neri, helped by Cardinal Pier Donato Cesi and Pope Gregory XIII, had the church rebuilt, starting in 1575. The nave was completed in 1577, and the church was consecrated in 1599. The facade, designed by Fausto Rughesi, was completed in 1605 or 1606. The Cesi heraldry is still evident in the church.

The ground plan follows the Counter-Reformation design of churches established at the Gesù; a single main nave with transepts and side chapels, leading towards the High Altar. Neri had intended that the interior be plain with whitewashed walls but it was filled by patrons with various artistic works, mainly during the period from 1620 to 1690, including masterworks by some of the principal artists of those decades in Rome. It is renowned for its altarpieces by Barocci, Pietro da Cortona's ceilings, and the Rubens slate and copper altarpiece.

Philip Neri is buried in the chapel to the left of the choir, which is dedicated to him, in a tomb decorated with mother-of-pearl. Designed by Onorio Longhi in 1600, the first octagonal part of the chapel has a central vault painting of St. Philip by Roncalli, and an altarpiece of The Virgin Appearing to St Philip Neri by Guido Reni (now a mosaic copy). In the inner and more removed part of the chapel, Cortona added a lantern to let in more light and the dome was redecorated, perhaps by Ciro Ferri.

Winter hours: 7.30 to 12 and 16.30 to 19.00
Summer hours: 7.30 to 12 and 16.30 to 19.30

Source: Wikipedia (visit link)
Codice di catalogo nazionale: 1200480686

Pagina del catalogo nazionale: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
[IT]
- Fornisci almeno una foto del sito che hai scattato.
- Scrivi almeno una frase sulla tua visita al sito.

[EN]
- Provide at least one photo you have taken of the site.
- Write at least one sentence about your visit to the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Italian Cultural Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.