Église de la Conception de Bastia - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 42° 41.850 E 009° 26.986
32T E 536838 N 4727321
Quick Description: La confrérie de l’Immaculée Conception fut fondée en 1588. L’édifice qui lui sert de chapelle a été achevé en 1609. Sa façade est agrémentée d’un portail baroque, daté de 1704, et d’un revêtement de plaques de marbre de Carrare, posées en 1858.
Location: Corse, France
Date Posted: 7/12/2021 12:33:17 PM
Waymark Code: WM14HT4
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:

The Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception was founded in 1588. The building that serves as its chapel was completed in 1609. Its façade is embellished with a baroque portal, dated 1704, and a covering of Carrara marble slabs, laid in 1858.


Oratoire de la confrérie de l'Immaculée Conception

Credits

A l’intérieur, les murs sont tendus de damas de soie et les pilastres sont recouverts de velours de Gênes. L’usage des parements textiles muraux dans les églises de Bastia est une tradition génoise, introduite par le gouverneur Filippo da Passano, dès 1589.

Le décor de la voûte date du XVIIe siècle. Il a été restauré et complété en 1855 par une équipe de peintres italiens, dirigée par le florentin Bernardo Francesco Sieni.

Le retable architecturé du maître-autel, à grandes colonnes monolithes, fut sculpté en 1624. La table d’autel fut refaite en 1763. Le tableau de l’autel a été réalisé en 1869 par le peintre Léon Olivié, d’après un modèle de Murillo.

La demi-lune d’argent qui orne le dernier gradin de l’autel est un chandelier que l’on n’utilisait que pour les grandes fêtes. Réalisée par l’orfèvre siennois Gaetano Macchi, en 1856-1857, elle est constituée de 6,5 kg d’argent.

Les autels latéraux en marbres polychromes ont été érigés en 1764. À droite, on peut voir un tableau peint sur bois (le portement de croix), datant du début du XVIe siècle. À gauche, une toile peinte en 1885 par le Bastiais Ange Varese représente saint Philippe Neri et saint François d’Assise aux pieds de saint Joseph.


Oratory of the Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception

Inside, the walls are covered with silk damask and the pilasters are covered with Genoa velvet. The use of textile wall coverings in the churches of Bastia is a Genoese tradition, introduced by the governor Filippo da Passano in 1589.

The decoration of the vault dates from the 17th century. It was restored and completed in 1855 by a team of Italian painters led by the Florentine Bernardo Francesco Sieni.

The architectural altarpiece of the high altar, with large monolithic columns, was sculpted in 1624. The altar table was rebuilt in 1763. The altarpiece was painted in 1869 by the painter Léon Olivié, after a model by Murillo.

The silver half-moon that adorns the last step of the altar is a candlestick that was only used for special occasions. It was made by the Sienese silversmith Gaetano Macchi in 1856-1857 and is made of 6.5 kg of silver.

The side altars in polychrome marble were erected in 1764. On the right is a painting on wood (the carrying of the cross), dating from the early 16th century. On the left, a canvas painted in 1885 by the Bastia artist Ange Varese depicts Saint Philip Neri and Saint Francis of Assisi at the feet of Saint Joseph.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1609

Age of Church building determined by?: Cornerstone or plaque

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

Street address of Church:
Rue Napoléon
Bastia, France
20000


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.