La chaire de l'église Saint-Jean-Baptiste - Bastia - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 42° 41.818 E 009° 27.047
32T E 536922 N 4727262
Quick Description: La chaire de l'église Saint Jean-Baptiste est remarquable. L'oeuvre est en marbre blanc incrusté de marbres polychromes italiens. La chaire a été commandée à Gênes dès 1779 au sculpteur réputé Gaetano Torre.
Location: Île-de-France, France
Date Posted: 6/12/2021 1:26:33 PM
Waymark Code: WM14CNV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member GeoRams
Views: 0

Long Description:

The pulpit of the church of Saint John the Baptist is remarkable. The work is made of white marble inlaid with Italian polychrome marbles. The pulpit was commissioned in Genoa in 1779 to the renowned sculptor Gaetano Torre.


Cette chaire à prêcher est constituée de marbres polychromes provenant de Corse. Sur un pied droit assez élevé, la cuve présente une forme carrée aux coins arrondis et est garnie des attributs des quatre évangélistes en relief : au centre, un panneau représente saint Jean prêchant dans le désert devant divers personnages groupés à droite sous un arbre.


This pulpit is made of polychrome marble from Corsica. On a rather high right foot, the vat has a square shape with rounded corners and is decorated with the attributes of the four evangelists in relief: in the center, a panel represents Saint John preaching in the desert in front of various characters grouped on the right under a tree.


The church of Saint-Jean-Baptiste, the largest in Corsica, was built between 1636 and 1666. The campaniles of the facade were added late in the 19th century.


EGLISE PAROISSIALE SAINT JEAN-BAPTISTE

Sign information

Saint Jean-Baptiste (classée Monument Historique en 2000) est la plus grande église de Corse.
L'édifice a été construit de 1636 à 1666 sur l'emplacement d'une ancienne chapelle. En 1864, l'architecte bastiais Paul-Augustin Viale termina la façade de l'église qui était restée inachevée. Au cours de cette campagne de travaux furent construits le fronton triangutaire et le clocher de droite. Le clocher de gauche avait été érigé en 1810 par le maître maçon suisse Tomaso Quadri.
L'intérieur de l'église est richement décoré. On y remarque le maître-autel de marbre, commandé en 1693 à Gênes au sculpteur d'origine marseillaise Honoré Pellé. A gauche du maître-autel, on conserve le trône épiscopal de Monseigneur Matteo Guasco, natif de Bastia et dernier évêque de Sagone (en résidence à Calvi jusqu'à la Révolution).

La chaire à prêcher est la plus précièuse de Corse. Elle est en marbre blanc incttisté de diapre de Sicile, de jaune de Sienne et de vert de Polcevera. Commandée à. Gênes en 1779, elle fut réalisée par les scMpteurs Gaetano et Gian Andrea Torre (père et fils). Expédiée démontée et en caisse, elle fut mise en place en 1781.

La tribune des grandes orgues est exceptionnelle. Construite en 1742 par le maître menuisier bastiais Giovan Battista Terrigo, ses galbes audacieux et ses dimensions imposantes évoquent la poupe d'un galion de l'époque baroque.
Les autels latéraux sont ornés de tableaux baroques, principalement de l'école génoise (Domenico Piola, Giovanni Raffaele Badaracco, Lorenzo De Ferrari).


THE PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

Saint John the Baptist (classified as a historic monument in 2000) is the biggest church in Corsica. The present structure was built from 1636 to 1666 on the location of a chapel. In 1864, the architect Paul-Augustin Viale, a native of Bastia, completed the façade of the church. During that period, the triangular fronton and the bell-tower on the right were built. The bell-tower on the left had been built as early as 1810 by the Swiss master-mason Tomaso Quadri.
The inner decoration is rich. What is to be noticed is the marble main altar, ordered in Genoa in 1693 to the sculptor whose origins were from Marseilles Honoré Pellé. To the left of the main altar, stands the Episcopal throne of Monsignor Matteo Guasco, a native of Bastia, and the last bishop of Sagone (who had resided in Calvi until the Revolution).
The pulpit is the most precious to be found in Corsica. It is made of white marble with inlaid mottled stones from Sicily, Sienna yellow, and Polcevera green. Ordered to Genoa in 1779, carved by the sculptors Gaetano and Gina Andrea Torre (father and son). It was sent disassembled and in a box, then installed in 1781.
The organ loft is exceptional. Built in 1742 by the master carpenter Giovan Battista Terrigo - a native of Bastia- its surprising shapes, bold curves and impressive size call to mind the stem of a galleon of the baroque era.
The lateral altars are decorated with pictures from various - especially Genoese schools, (Domenicow Piola, Giovanni Raffaele Badaracco, Lorenzo De Ferrari).

Approximate Age of Artefact: 1779

Relevant Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stone Church Artefacts
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.