Radnice - Slaný, Czechia
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ashberry
N 50° 13.824 E 014° 05.216
33U E 434876 N 5564646
Quick Description: The building of the former town hall of Slaný
Location: Středočeský kraj, Czechia
Date Posted: 6/10/2021 1:28:04 PM
Waymark Code: WM14CEX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
"The former town hall in Slaný is a late Baroque building with a 43 meter high tower, built in 1796 and later neo-Renaissance. It stands on the historic main Masaryk Square, in the middle of a series of houses lining its southern side. the seat of the town hall on the opposite side of the square, and since 1988 it has been protected as an immovable cultural monument of the Czech Republic.

The town hall building stands on the site of the original medieval burgher house, which was donated to the city by Emperor Charles IV for this purpose. June 23, 1378

It was originally a one-storey building with a high stepped gable and a high prismatic tower with a square floor plan. On the tower, as high as today, was a gallery and at the level of the first floor was an old Czech astronomical clock. In front of the town hall building were the so-called "signs of justice", which included a trdlice, a basket and a circle with chains.

The tower had an onion roof with a poppy decorated with a star. This symbolism dates back to the times of the Hussite revolution, in which Slaný, together with other cities in northwestern Bohemia, became pro-Hussite. In the Chiliastic speeches of the time, the town of Slaný was attributed as a "star" symbol, just as the symbols of the allied towns were "moon" - luna (Louny) and "sun" (Žatec). There was a large hall in the town hall building - the "mázhaus", the town hall, on the ground floor there was a "chateau". There was a prankster in front of the building.

In 1751, Count Michal of Martinice had a new town hall built on the site of the original building, but it burned down on August 2, 1795. A year later, the city built a new town hall and in 1797 had the star and sun gilded, which was damaged by fire. Later (in 1873) a new tower clock with two iron dials was installed, with a new machine. In 1890, a sandstone town emblem was placed above the entrance portal, designed by Ferdinand Velc.

The local architect Rudolf Štech modified the town hall in its neo-Renaissance style to its current form in the years 1895–1896. The town hall tower is two-storey, the second floor begins at the level of the eaves of the two-storey town hall building and the roof of the adjoining house Ungelt. On the first floor there are two halls with Neo-Renaissance paintings and Classicist carvings decorated with doors and linings. The roof of the town hall tower is onion-shaped, octagonal, beaten with copper sheet. It ends with a poppy with a star. There are clock faces on all sides of the tower.

In 2016, the facade of the building towards Ungelt was reconstructed, in 2017 it underwent further repairs. The building currently houses the Slaný Municipal Police."

Source: (visit link)
Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.