Église de l'Annonciation de Corte - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 42° 18.304 E 009° 08.983
32T E 512339 N 4683659
Quick Description: L'église de l'Annonciation de Corte est une église de style baroque du xve siècle avec un campanile, à Corte en Haute-Corse. Dédiée à l'Annonciation, elle est inscrite sur l'Inventaire supplémentaire des monuments historiques depuis le 2 mai 1973.
Location: Corse, France
Date Posted: 5/26/2021 12:02:01 PM
Waymark Code: WM149Y0
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
Views: 0

Long Description:

The church of the Annunciation of Corte is a baroque style church of the xve century with a campanile, in Corte in Haute-Corse. Dedicated to the Annunciation, it is listed on the Supplementary Inventory of Historical Monuments since May 2, 1973.


Église de l'Annonciation de Corte

Credits

Cette église est avec la Citadelle, le plus ancien monument de la ville. Edifiée en 1450 par l’évêque Ambrogio d’Omessa, elle fut agrandie au XVIIème siècle sous l’épiscopat de Saint Alexandre Sauli, évêque d’Aleria. Elle est devenue église paroissiale en 1771 après la ruine définitive de l’Eglise Saint Marcel qui en avait le titre. A l’intérieur on peut admirer un crucifix du XVIIème siècle, un tableau représentant Notre Dame de Lavasina, la représentation en cire de Saint Théophile (fabriquée par le Musée Grevin), un autel en marbre de Corte de la famille Aragni (1870), l’assomption en bois du XVIIIème siècle, des Stalles du XVIème siècle (dans le chœur), une chaise en bois sculpté provenant du couvent des franciscains et un orgue du XVIIème siècle, sur lequel on joue encore très bien. La Sacristie renferme une vierge en marbre blanc datée de 1613, ainsi qu’un meuble majestueux de 1718, œuvre des fils de Saint François. Quatre Saints auraient prêché dans cette Eglise : Saint Théophile, Saint Alexandre Sauli, Saint Leonard de Port-Maurice et Saint Jean XXIII. Plusieurs reliques de Saint Théophile sont aujourd’hui exposées dans l’église, comme un de ses doigts ou sa sandale. Se trouve aussi une relique de Jean Paul II depuis Août 2016 : une goutte de son sang sur un tissu. Classée monument historique en Mai 1873, son architecture a réclamé de sérieuses réparations. En 1990 la Commune a voulu faire une remise en état de cet édifice. Après consultation du service des Bâtiments de France, ceux-ci ont désigné Monsieur Bona, Architecte comme Maître d’œuvre de cette opération en prescrivant un sondage préalable pour savoir ce qu’il restait des peintures initiales. Celui-ci a montré qu’il subsistait des traces importantes sous le badigeon et qu’il serait intéressant de les dégager et de les restaurer. Les travaux de la première et seconde tranche de restauration ont duré huit ans. Elle a été enfin remise au culte en 1998. Les travaux définitifs se sont achevés en 2014.


Church of the Annunciation of Corte

This church is, together with the Citadel, the oldest monument of the city. Built in 1450 by the bishop Ambrogio d'Omessa, it was enlarged in the enlarged in the XVIIth century under the episcopate of Saint Alexandre Sauli, bishop of Aleria. It became a parish church in 1771 after the final ruin of the Church of Saint Marcel which had the title. Inside you can admire a 17th century crucifix, a painting representing Our Lady of Lavasina, the wax representation of Saint Theophilus (made by the Grevin Museum), an altar in marble from Corte of the Aragni family (1870), the wooden Assumption of the 18th century, 16th century choir stalls (in the choir), a carved wooden chair coming from the Franciscan monastery and an organ of the 17th century, which is still played very well. The Sacristy contains a white marble Madonna dated 1613, as well as a majestic piece of furniture from 1718, the work of the sons of Saint Francis. Four saints are said to have preached in this church: Saint Theophilus, Saint Alexander Sauli, Saint Leonard of Port-Maurice and Saint John XXIII. Several relics of St. Theophilus are on display in the church today, such as one of his fingers or his sandal. There is also a relic of John Paul II since August 2016: a drop of his blood on a cloth. Classified as a historical monument in May 1873, its architecture required serious repairs. In 1990 the Commune wanted to restore the building. After consultation with the Bâtiments de France, they appointed Mr. Bona, architect, as the project manager for this operation, prescribing a preliminary survey to find out what was left of the original paintings. This survey showed that there were still important traces under the whitewash and that it would be interesting to clear them and restore them. The work of the first and second stages of restoration lasted eight years. It was finally put back into service in 1998. The final work was completed in 2014.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1459

Age of Church building determined by?: Church website

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Sunday

Street address of Church:
Rue du Colonel Feracci
Corte, France
20250


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.