South Portal - Tunnel de Condes - Condes - Haute-Marne (52) - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ntpayne
N 48° 08.550 E 005° 08.287
31U E 659049 N 5334349
Quick Description: This is the southern portal of the canal tunnel at Condes, near Chaumont in Haute-Marne (52), France.
Location: Grand-Est, France
Date Posted: 5/25/2021 11:29:34 PM
Waymark Code: WM149RV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member dtrebilc
Views: 2

Long Description:
This is the southern portal of the canal tunnel at Condes, near Chaumont in Haute-Marne (52), France. It is the only tunnel on the northern side of the summit of the canal entre Champagne et Bourgogne.

The tunnel is 275m long with a width of 11m at water level therefore operates as a two-way tunnel. Because it is two-way, traffic light control is not necessary. It has a towpath on either side and the overall width at towpath level is 16m.

INFORMATION ON THE CANAL

The 224 kilometre long canal has 71 locks on the northern side of the summit and 43 on the southern side.

Locks 71 to 45 (on the northern side) are operated by a remote control unit issued to boaters as they enter the canal. The remaining locks are operated by éclusiers who travel in cars, vans or bikes alongside the boater.

The locks are all Freycinet standard size of 39m x 5.05m. Commercial traffic still uses this canal therefore it remains open all year around.

The canal was initially called the Haute-Marne, then the Canal de la Marne à la Saône and now the Canal entre Champagne et Bourgogne. The final name was probably chosen for touristic reasons.

Many locks still have lock cottages and where there are still information plates they have the name of the canal as Canal de la Marne à la Saône.

History – The Canal de la Marne à la Saône was one of the key projects under the Freycinet programme voted in 1879, which provided for 1400km of new waterways. At that time a 73km length with 31 locks had already been built (staring in 1862) under the name of Canal de la Haute-Marne. The planned budgets were regularly cut back in the following years, which made progress slow for the period, and the link was not completed until 1907. Commercial traffic survives on this route.

More information can be found here:
(visit link)
Is the Tunnel in Use?: In Use

Which End is this Entrance?: South

Date Constructed: 1/1/1863

Length of Tunnel: 275 metres

Construction Material: Rock, lined with stone and concrete

Associated Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
If visiting this Waymark please post at least one picture with your visit log and describe your experience at the location. This adds quality to the Waymark and additional information.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Canal Tunnels
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.