La Commanderie de Caestre-Eecke - Eecke (Nord), France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member RakeInTheCache
N 50° 45.775 E 002° 36.143
31U E 471957 N 5623536
Quick Description: [FR] On trouve une première mention de cette localité en 1216 lorsque celle ci s’appelle "Castre", qui signifie "forteresse". [EN] This locality is first mentioned in 1216 when it was called "Castre" which means "fortress".
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 5/21/2021 10:36:19 AM
Waymark Code: WM14919
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Kelux
Views: 0

Long Description:
[FR] Située à la jonction des voies romaines reliant Cassel à Arras (62) et Cassel à Tournai (Belgique), Caëstre remonte à l’époque gallo-romaine, son nom rappelant probablement un ouvrage militaire destiné à protéger ces routes stratégiques. "Sur l'ancien chemin de Caëstre à Eecke qui coupe le chemin de Lille à Dunkerque se situaient les bâtiments d'une importante Commanderie, dont le supérieur avait la haute, basse et moyenne justice. Les possessions étaient très importantes. C'est à la fin du XIIème Siècle que fur fondée la Commanderie de Eecke. Par la suite, les Hospitaliers la laissèrent à l'abandon pendant près de 2 siècles. Sous la maîtrise de Louis de Lavallée Passée, au XVIème Siècle, elle fut séparée de celle de Slype en Belgique et fur donnée, en 1550, à Georges de Courtignon qui en devint le premier commandeur hospitalier. Les parties datant du XVIème Siècle, construites par le chevalier Louis de Start, sont en brique comme on en trouve beaucoup dans la région. On y reconnaît le style particulier des constructions hospitalières par la frise séparant la toiture des murs extérieurs. Les caves et certaines parties des bâtiments de la ferme sont de l'époque templière."

[EN] Situated at the junction of Roman roads connecting Cassel to Arras (62) and Cassel to Tournai (Belgium), Caëstre existed back in the Gallo-Roman era, its name probably recalls a military construction destined to protect these strategic routes. "The buildings of a large commandery were situated on the old road from Caëstre to Eecke which crosses the road from Lille to Dunkerque. The senior officer was responsible for the feudal justice. The possessions were very large. The Commandery was founded in the 12th century. Later, the Hospitalers did nothing with it for two centuries. Under Louis de Lavallée Passée, in the 14th century, it was separated from Slype in Belgium and was given in 1550 to Georges de Courtignon who became the first Hospitaller commander. The parts dating from the 16th century, constructed by the knight Louis de Start, are in brick which is typical of the region. A particlur Hospitaler construction style can be recognized by the frieze which separates the roof from the exerior walls. The cellars of certain parts of the farm buildings are from the Templar period."
Name of Military Order: Knights Templar

Link documenting charitable acts: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Posters must have physically visited the location. Uploading an original photo is strongly encouraged.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Legacy of Medieval Spiritual Warriors
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.