St Margaret of Antioch - Stoke Golding, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 34.301 W 001° 24.876
30U E 607443 N 5825806
Quick Description: 13th century church of St Margaret of Antioch, Stoke Golding.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 5/6/2021 1:31:00 PM
Waymark Code: WM147GH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 2

Long Description:
"The Church has evidence of its early 13th Century origins. It underwent extensive enlargement between 1290 and 1340 when the south aisle and Lady Chapel and the tower and spire were added. The chancel was widened in the 14th Century, and was rebuilt in 1882 when it acquired the quaint pitched roof. The high pitched roofs of the 15th Century were replaced by the lead covered roofs.

Described by Sir Nikolaus Pevsner as ‘One of the most beautiful churches in Leicestershire’ it stands at the head of Crown Hill, The beautiful open-work quatrefoil parapet of the south wall is worth noting. This is matched by the parapet at the top of the tower with the heads of King Edward III and Queen Philippa on the south face.

The tower is a landmark of the surrounding area. It was taken down during the last war because of flights to and from nearby Lindley aerodrome, the numbered stones being carefully rebuilt afterwards.

Internally, the outstanding feature is the arcade between nave and aisle, of the early 14th century with shafted and filleted piers, moulded arches and carved capitals with foliage and heads, ladies with wimples, a youth with toothache and two ‘green men’.
In the south wall is a tomb recess with an incised slab featuring a sword. The slab is c1275 and may cover the resting place of the person who was responsible for the enlarged and rebuilt church.

The south aisle and chapel contain two piscinae and the wall shows remnants of 14th Century wall paintings, one of which is thought to portray the Annunciation. The octagonal font dates from about 1330 and shows carved representations of Saints Nicholas, Margaret and Katharine and also heraldic panels.

Note the old Church chest, which shows the carved initials of churchwardens and the date 1636 although it is thought to be older. Two interesting paintings are dated 1824 and 1920.
Monuments include a large wall memorial in the lady chapel to Sir Henry Firebrace, and a 17th century brass almost hidden by the organ casing.

The Church has a fine ring of six bells, two of which date from the 17th Century. Its churchyard was closed for burials in 1883 when the Hinckley Road Cemetery opened."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.