Solitude de notre dame de l'espérance de Bourgenay - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 46° 26.547 W 001° 40.500
30T E 601776 N 5144062
Quick Description: Cet édifice vieux de 400 ans forme, avec l’abbaye Sainte-Croix, un ensemble architectural et historique remarquable. This 400 year old building forms, with the Holy Cross Abbey, a remarkable architectural and historical ensemble.
Location: Pays de la Loire, France
Date Posted: 5/3/2021 10:58:43 AM
Waymark Code: WM14724
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 3

Long Description:

Bourgenay – un peu d’histoire

Credits

Les premiers documents historiques qui parlent de Bourgenay datent des XIIème – XIIIème siècles. Il est question d’un prieuré bénédictin dépendant de l’abbaye de Maillezais en lien avec l’abbaye de St Jean d’Orbestier.

Nous savons peu de choses sur l’histoire du prieuré de Bourgenay, sinon qu’il suit l’évolution de l’abbaye de Maillezais. Il subit ses premiers incendies pendant la Guerre de Cent Ans (dans les années 1340), puis lors des Guerres de Religion et particulièrement en 1569. Les protestants détruisent « à la mine » la crypte de Bourgenay et tombent la chapelle qui fait à l’époque 21m sur 10 m. La crypte actuelle a la même dimension.

En 1648 le prieuré de Bourgenay passe sous la dépendance du chapitre de la cathédrale de la Rochelle quand Maillezais perd son statut épiscopal. Il tombe en décadence. En 1777, la présence de religieux n’est plus attestée, selon un rapport du curé de St Hilaire de Talmont : il nous montre un sanctuaire dans un état de dénuement et de délabrement complet et il n’est plus question de la présence de religieux.

A la Révolution, les bâtiments sont vendus comme biens nationaux. L’acheteur un certain Fournier se servit des bâtiments comme d’une carrière de matériaux. Seule une partie de la crypte échappe à la démolition et le pèlerinage de Bourgenay tomba dans l’oubli.

La renaissance de Bourgenay est due, dès 1872, au comte de Beaumont et à sa famille très attachée au culte marial. La reconstruction d’une partie du sanctuaire (au-dessus de la crypte retrouvée au milieu des décombres), commence en 1872 .La reprise du pèlerinage rassemble 20 000 personnes le 8 septembre 1874 et depuis, il n’a jamais cessé.

En 1891, est construit le château attenant à la chapelle. En 1892, la statue de Marie Immaculée Conception est érigée sur le sommet du clocher. En 1896, la chapelle est agrandie pour atteindre sa dimension actuelle.


Bourgenay - a little history

The first historical documents that speak of Bourgenay date from the 12th - 13th centuries. It is about a Benedictine priory depending on the abbey of Maillezais in connection with the abbey of St Jean d'Orbestier.

We know little about the history of the priory of Bourgenay, except that it followed the evolution of the abbey of Maillezais. It underwent its first fires during the Hundred Years' War (in the 1340s), then during the Wars of Religion and particularly in 1569. The Protestants destroyed the crypt of Bourgenay with a mine and fell the chapel which was 21m by 10m at the time. The current crypt has the same size.

In 1648 the priory of Bourgenay became dependent on the chapter of the cathedral of La Rochelle when Maillezais lost its episcopal status. It fell into decadence. In 1777, the presence of religious was no longer attested to, according to a report by the parish priest of St Hilaire de Talmont: it shows us a sanctuary in a state of destitution and complete dilapidation and there is no longer any question of the presence of religious.

During the Revolution, the buildings were sold as national property. The buyer, a certain Fournier, used the buildings as a quarry for materials. Only a part of the crypt escaped demolition and the pilgrimage of Bourgenay fell into oblivion.

The rebirth of Bourgenay is due, from 1872, to the Count of Beaumont and his family who were very attached to the Marian cult. The reconstruction of a part of the sanctuary (above the crypt found in the middle of the rubble), began in 1872, and the resumption of the pilgrimage gathered 20,000 people on September 8, 1874 and since then, it has never stopped.

In 1891, the castle adjacent to the chapel was built. In 1892, the statue of Mary Immaculate Conception was erected on top of the bell tower. In 1896, the chapel was enlarged to its present size.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Solitude de notre dame de l'espérance de Bourgenay

Address:
Port Bourgenay
Talmont Saint Hilaire, France
85000


Religious affiliation: Catholic

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Acitvely Used

Date founded/constructed: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Georgioturino visited Solitude de notre dame de l'espérance de Bourgenay - France 9/30/2021 Georgioturino visited it