Lawton Coat of Arms - Scholar Green, Cheshire, UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 53° 05.929 W 002° 16.067
30U E 549026 N 5883513
Quick Description: The relief Lawton Coat of Arms is located at All Saints' Church on Church Lane in Church Lawton.
Location: North West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/20/2021 9:44:45 AM
Waymark Code: WM145FA
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
The Lawton Coat of Arms are a white stone relief that can be seen on the outer north wall of All Saints' Church on Church Lane in Church Lawton.

History
"William the Conqueror's Domesday Survey refers to the area as "Lautune" and says that it belonged to Hugo de Mara, one of the kings fellow Normans. The whole of the County of Cheshire had been given over to the King's brother in law, Hugh Lupus (Hugh the Wolf), a character notorious for his riotous living who, on his deathbed, vowed to establish a church at Lawton, "If the Lord would only spare him." This is a version of how the first church came to be built. The church lands were passed over to the Abbot of St. Werburgh's at Chester, a place of worship was erected and the Abbot appointed one Edward as the first Rector of Lawton in the year 1180. The architectural remain of this earliest church is the Norman Arch doorway over the south door.

Between 1180 and the 15th century the village of Lawton was in two halves, one half being the church lands, or the "Glebe" on which is now built the Lawton Gate Estate, and the remainder which was owned by the squire of Lawton. The legend of the Lawton family dates back to around the year 1200 when King John was separated from his companions while hunting in the area. The story is that his horse reared and threw him when it was confronted by a great wolf, whereupon a nearby keeper came to the rescue and killed the wolf. The man gave his name as keeper Adam de Lauton and, for saving his life, the King granted him all the land he could walk over in a week, taking the bleeding wolf as his starting point. The King told him, "The head of the wolf shall be thy crest; thy deed will go down in history." Source: (visit link)

The Lawton Family can trace their family tree to the time of this exploit, and their family crest can be found in and around the present church.

The Lawton Coat of Arms, which is linked with the Davenport family, were granted in 1572. It consists of the three crosses of Calvary and the Tudor Rose underneath a wolf licking it's left shoulder.
The motto "Spes Infrecta" means "Hope Unbroken" is not present on this example. (visit link)

(visit link)
Your impression of the sculpture?:

Where is this sculpture?:
All Saints’ Church, Church Lane, Church Lawton, Cheshire ST7 3DD, UK..


Date Sculpture was opened for vewing?: Not listed

Website for sculpture?: Not listed

Sculptors Name: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1. Provide a tasteful picture of the sculpture, with another point of view from the original(no pictures of GPSr or yourself).

2. Provide your thoughts on the sculpture and your impression of it.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Relief Art Sculptures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.