Eglise Saint-Etienne-des-Prés - Honfleur, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 49° 25.183 E 000° 14.017
31U E 299377 N 5477795
Quick Description: [EN] Built in the 14th century, the Saint-Etienne church is the oldest in the city, dedicated to worship until the Revolution. [FR] Built in the 14th century, the Saint-Etienne church is the oldest in the city, dedicated to worship until the Revolution.
Location: Normandie, France
Date Posted: 3/14/2021 4:06:29 AM
Waymark Code: WM13YHK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:

"The oldest parts are from the 11th century. The current church was built around 1369. In 1432, the English occupants enlarged it. By prefectural decree of 22 June 1808, the town was authorized to destroy the bell tower of the church due to its dilapidation In 1899, the vault was redone, the bell tower rebuilt and the entrance to the quay opened.

The main facade is a gable wall flanked by two buttresses. The portal is framed by two bays. This set is covered by a framed porch and surmounted by a twin bay with trilobed lancets.

The south gutter wall is punctuated by buttresses. The spans, except the first, are pierced with a pointed arch bay. The north gutter wall is not specified. The bedside has two similar windows.

The whole building is saddle-shaped and the apse hipped. A basic square bell tower is adorned with turned up sewers. Its roof is composed of a bulb surmounted by a hexagonal spire.

The church of Saint Etienne was abandoned in 1791 and named on 11 Ventôse Year II "Garnitures pour la marine". It was transformed after the Revolution into a rope store and then in 1797 became a performance hall. From 1809 to 1897 it housed the real warehouse and from 1809 to 1832 the stock exchange and since 1897 a museum today mainly devoted to the navy. "

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"Les parties les plus anciennes sont du XIe siècle. L'église actuelle est construite vers 1369. En 1432, les occupants anglais l'agrandissent. Par arrêté préfectoral du 22 juin 1808, la commune est autorisée à détruire le clocher de l’église en raison de sa vétusté. En 1899, la voûte est refaite, le clocher reconstruit et l’entrée vers le quai ouverte.

La façade principale est un mur pignon flanqué de deux contreforts. Le portail est encadré par deux baies. Cet ensemble est couvert par un porche charpenté et surmonté d’une baie géminée à lancettes trilobées.

Le mur gouttereau sud est scandé par des contreforts. Les travées, sauf la première, sont percées d’une baie en arc brisé. Le mur gouttereau nord n’est pas renseigné. Le chevet présente deux baies similaires.

L’ensemble de l’édifice est en bâtière et le chevet en croupe. Un clocher de base carréest orné d’égouts retroussés. Sa toiture est composée d’un bulbe surmonté d’une flèche hexagonale.

L’église Saint Etienne est désaffectée en 1791 et nommée le 11 ventôse An II « Garnitures pour la marine ». Elle est transformée après la Révolution en magasin de cordage puis devient en 1797 salle de spectacle. Elle abrite de 1809 à 1897 l’entrepôt réel et de 1809 à 1832 la bourse de commerce et depuis 1897 un musée aujourd’hui essentiellement consacré à la marine."

Sources : L’Eglise

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Eglise Saint-Etienne-des-Prés - Honfleur, France 3/10/2021 pmaupin visited it