Église Notre-Dame - Le Bourg-Dun, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 49° 51.888 E 000° 53.264
31U E 348201 N 5525738
Quick Description: [EN] The Bourg-Dun Church was built in the year 1015, on the ruins of an old abbey destroyed in the 9th century during a Norman incursion. [FR] L’Eglise du Bourg-Dun fut construite en l’an 1015, sur les ruines d’une ancienne abbaye détruite au IXème siècle lors d’une incursion normande.
Location: Normandie, France
Date Posted: 2/24/2021 11:02:57 AM
Waymark Code: WM13VPF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:
The church presents a disparate construction. It was built in the year 1015, on the ruins of an old abbey destroyed in the 9th century during a Norman incursion. The rest of the building is the result of subsequent modifications.

The nave dates from the 12th century. The central tower dates back to the 13th century, like the choir. Around 1500, the Sepulcher Chapel, surmounted by a Renaissance vault and the work of sculptor Nicolas Bedion, was added to the choir.

In 1876, the twelve-spoke rose window replaced the glass roof above the main portal. Finally, in 1880, the lightning rod and the rooster located above the cross were installed.

Architectural description: Latin cross plan. A nave and two aisles, intersected by a transept. Flat bedside table. Crossed bell tower topped with a slate ax roof. Stone construction (limestone, sandstone, flint or cut). Arched bays (for the nave) and Gothic tracery bays (for the choir). Gables of the building (front facade and arm of the transept) confined by square or polygonal towers serving as stairs. The cover is long slate. Interior architecture: ribbed vaulting.

History and important dates: Initially, the church was donated by Richard II, Duke of Normandy, to Dudon, a famous Norman chronicler and canon of Saint-Quentin in the Aisne.

Indeed, it turns out that during one of his stays in Normandy, Dudon wrote at the request of Richard I a history of the Normans. This work will be known as De moribus et actis primorum Normanniae ducum. To thank him, Richard I offered him four parishes in the Pays de Caux including Le Bourg-Dun, which he will keep until his death in 1040.

The church was subsequently donated to the chapter of Saint-Quentin, which then had its patronage and tithe, which in the last century amounted to 4,000 pounds per year.

During one of his stays in the neighboring village of Veules-les-Roses, the famous writer Victor Hugo visited the building on August 25, 1880.

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

L'église présente une construction disparate. Elle fut construite en l’an 1015, sur les ruines d’une ancienne abbaye détruite au IXème siècle lors d’une incursion normande. Le reste de l’édifice résulte de modifications ultérieures.

La nef daterait du XIIe siècle. La tour centrale remonte au XIIIe siècle, comme le chœur. Vers 1500, la chapelle du Sépulcre, surmontée d’une voûte Renaissance et œuvre du sculpteur Nicolas Bedion, est ajoutée au chœur.

La rosace à douze rayons est venue remplacer dès 1876 la verrière qui se trouvait au-dessus du portail principal. Enfin, en 1880, le paratonnerre et le coq situé au-dessus de la croix sont posés.

Description architecturale: Plan en croix latine. Une nef et deux bas-côtés, qu'entrecoupe un transept. Chevet plat. Clocher de croisée coiffé d'un toit en hache en ardoise. Construction en pierre (calcaire, grès, silex ou de taille). Baies cintrées (pour la nef) et baies gothiques à remplages (pour le chœur). Pignons de l'édifice (façade antérieure et bras du transept) cantonnés de tours carrées ou polygonales servant d'escaliers. La couverture est à longs pans en ardoise. Architecture intérieure: voûtement d'ogives.

Histoire et dates importantes: Dans un premier temps, l’église fut donnée par Richard II, duc de Normandie, à Dudon, célèbre chroniqueur normand et chanoinede Saint-Quentin dans l’Aisne.

En effet, il se trouve que lors de l’un de ses séjours en Normandie, Dudon rédigea à la demande de Richard Ier une histoire des normands. Cette œuvre sera connue sous le nom de De moribus et actis primorum Normanniae ducum. Pour le remercier, Richard Ier lui offrit quatre paroisses du Pays de Caux dont Le Bourg-Dun, qu’il conservera jusqu’à sa mort en 1040.

L’église fut dans un second temps offerte au chapitre de Saint-Quentin, qui en eut alors le patronage et la dîme qui s’élevait au siècle dernier à 4 000 livres par an.

A l’occasion de l’un de ses séjours dans le village voisin de Veules-les-Roses, le célèbre écrivain Victor Hugo visita l’édifice le 25 août 1880.

Sources : L'Eglise

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Église Notre-Dame  - Le Bourg-Dun, France 2/24/2021 pmaupin visited it