Eglise Saint-Laurent - Saint-Laurent de la Prée, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 45° 58.859 W 001° 02.431
30T E 651778 N 5093800
Quick Description: an imposing church almost fortified. une église imposante presque fortifiée.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 2/21/2021 9:58:13 AM
Waymark Code: WM13V95
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
En source Blog:
Saint-Laurent se la prée, Saint-Laurent church. The Church of Saint-Laurent de la Prée welcomes you; welcome to this church, house of God for believers! A Church is a church, neither a castle, nor a museum. Each building can be visited according to what it is ... for a holy place by respecting the beliefs of those who pray there.
Pre-Romanesque period 10th and 11th centuries, 13th and 15th centuries, end of the Middle Ages and 17th centuries.
The two north and south walls of the primitive nave are clearly pre-Romanesque, each with three small windows with monolithic arches. South side, a narrow Romanesque chapel has its original floor, below the floor of the nave.
The portal and the facade can be dated to the 13th century. In the 12th century, a square-based bell tower replaced a small ripe bell tower located on the still visible nave.
It was not until 1315 that the Chancellery of France made mention of the land of Saint-Laurent, in 1610 the cure was united with the Jesuit college of Saintes.
The church also suffered the effects of the revolution of 1789 and became, for a time, "temple of the decadal" following the revolutionary dechristianization. This is how the Rochefort tribunal sent 11 priests from the department to the guillotine. Some modifications, from the end of the 14th century, have not embellished it.
But here in 1930, Father Ginisty, then parish priest, restored the stained glass window in the Chapel of the Virgin to its original dimensions. In 1950 Father Travers, in his turn, had the stained-glass windows in the choir window and that of Sainte-Cécile fitted out above the large portal.
In 1960 Father Bourseau had all the stained glass windows in the northern part installed, Nativity, Childhood of Jesus, Wedding at Cana, Crucifixion and under the bell tower, Saint-Louis and, on a smaller scale, the Assumption of the Virgin.
And here is that in 1998, it is the Municipality which undertakes a program of development of our architectural heritage, initiated by the community of the Communes of the Country Rochefortais. These renovations to the church include the complete restoration of the building (exterior and interior) with drainage around the perimeter, the demolition of the sacristy and its redevelopment inside the church, enhancement works. stained glass (glass roof of the Choir). The works are supervised by Mr. Boissière, architect of the French buildings.
Note also, to the left of the choir, the statuette of Our Lady of the Children, formerly venerated by the hospital brothers of La Rochelle who owned property in Saint-Laurent. It represents the Virgin Mary carrying the Child Jesus on her left arm while little John the Baptist, seated at her feet, dozes, his head resting on his right knee. It is a work of art, in enamelled terracotta from the 16th century, classified as a historical monument. The tabernacle and the altarpiece of the 18th century High Altar are also listed.
In the southern chapel, the baptismal fonts and an 18th century wooden statue representing Father de Monfort who, from December 1714 to January 1715, came to Saint-Laurent and Fouras to preach a mission; an ordeal erected at "La Croix des Joncs" near the place called "Le Bois", a former seigneury of "Alexandre de Carlu", recalls his visit to our parish. Her daughter, who died at 18, has her gravestone on the left side of Our Lady's altar.
Three bells call to prayer. The first dates from 1864, replacing that of 1770 which, broken, had to be replaced. The other two were baptized by Monsignor Verdet, then bishop of La Rochelle and Saintes.
"May the sound of these bells make people reason and bear witness, with joy, to your joys and your happiness".

Fr source Blog :
Saint-Laurent se la prée, église Saint-Laurent. L'Église de Saint-Laurent de la Prée vous accueille; soyez les bienvenus dans cette église, maison de Dieu pour les croyants ! Une Église est une église, ni un château, ni un musée. Chaque édifice se visite selon ce qu'il est... pour un lieu saint en respectant les croyances de ceux qui y prient.
Epoque préromane Xe et XIe siècles, XIIIe et XVe siècles, fin du Moyen Age et XVIIe.
Les deux murs nord et sud de la nef primitive sont nettement préromans avec chacun, trois petites fenêtres aux cintres monolithes. Côté Sud, une étroite chapelle romane possède son sol d'origine, en dessous du sol de la nef.
Le portail et la façade peuvent être datés du XIIIe siècle. Au XIIe siècle, un clocher à base carré a remplacé un petit clocher mûr situé sur la nef encore visible.
Ce n'est qu'en 1315 que la chancellerie de France fera mention de la terre de Saint-Laurent,en 1610 la cure est unie au collège des jésuites de Saintes.
L'église subit aussi les effets de la révolution de 1789 et devint, pour un temps, « temple de décadaire » à la suite de la déchristianisation révolutionnaire. C'est ainsi que le tribunal de Rochefort envoya 11 prêtres du département à la guillotine. Quelques modifications, de la fin du XIVe siècle,ne l’ont pas embellie.
Mais voici qu'en 1930, l'abbé Ginisty, curé d'alors,redonne au vitrail de la chapelle de la Vierge ses dimensions d'origine. En 1950 l'abbé Travers, à son tour, fait aménager les vitraux de la verrière du chœur et celui de Sainte-Cécile au-dessus du grand portail.
En 1960 l'abbé Bourseau fait mettre en place tous les vitraux de la partie nord,Nativité, Enfance de Jésus, Noce de Cana, Crucifixion et sou le clocher,Saint-Louis et, en plus petit, l’assomption de la Vierge.
Et voici qu'en 1998, c'est la Municipalité qui entreprend un programme de mise en valeur de notre patrimoine architectural, engagé par la communauté des Communes du Pays Rochefortais. Ces travaux de rénovation de l'église comprennent la mise en état complète du bâtiment (extérieur et intérieur) avec drainage sur le pourtour, la démolition de la sacristie et son réaménagement à l'intérieur de l'église, des travaux de mise en valeur des vitraux (verrière du Chœur). La maîtrise des travaux est assurée par Monsieur Boissière,architecte des bâtiments de France.
Il faut noter aussi, à gauche du chœur, la statuette de Notre-Dame des enfants, autrefois vénérée par les frères hospitaliers de La Rochelle qui possédaient des biens à Saint-Laurent. Elle représente la Vierge Marie portant l’Enfant Jésus sur son bras gauche tandis que le petit Jean-Baptiste, assis à ses pieds, somnole, la tête appuyée sur son genou droit. C'est une œuvre d'art, en terre cuite émaillée du XVIe siècle, classée monument historique. Le tabernacle et le retable du Maître Autel du XVIIIe siècle sont également classés.
Dans la chapelle sud, les fonds baptismaux et une statue en bois du XVIIIe siècle représentant le père de Monfort qui, de décembre 1714 à janvier 1715, vint à Saint-Laurent et à Fouras prêcher une mission; un calvaire érigé à « La Croix des Joncs» à proximité du lieu-dit «Le Bois», ancienne seigneurie d' « Alexandre de Carlu», rappelle son passage sur notre paroisse. Sa fille morte à 18 ans a sa pierre tombale sur le côté gauche de l'autel de la Vierge.
Trois cloches appellent à la prière. La première date de 1864, remplaçant celle de 1770 qui, cassée, dut être remplacée. Les deux autres ont été baptisées par Monseigneur Verdet, alors évêque de La Rochelle et Saintes.
«Que le son de ces cloches fasse raisonner et témoigner, avec allégresse, vos joies et votre bonheur».

Ch.Lerollee
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.