Statue d'Antoine Girouard - Statue of Antoine Girouard - Saint-Hyacinthe, Québec
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
N 45° 38.016 W 072° 56.533
18T E 660386 N 5055398
Quick Description: La statue d'Antoine Girouard est située en avant du Séminaire de Saint-Hyacinthe, sur la rue Girouard Est. The statue of Antoine Girouard is located in front of Saint-Hyacinthe' Seminary, on Girouard East Street.
Location: Québec, Canada
Date Posted: 2/21/2021 8:15:42 AM
Waymark Code: WM13V8M
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
GIROUARD, ANTOINE, prêtre catholique et administrateur scolaire, né le 7 octobre 1762 à Boucherville (Québec), fils d’Antoine Girouard et de Marguerite Chaperon ; décédé le 3 août 1832 à Varennes, Bas-Canada.

Orphelin de père dès sa naissance, Antoine Girouard fait avec succès des études au collège Saint-Raphaël à Montréal, de 1773 à 1780, puis au grand séminaire de Québec où il est étudiant en théologie. Il est ordonné prêtre par l’évêque de Québec, Mgr Louis-Philippe Mariauchau* d’Esgly, à l’automne de 1785. Presque immédiatement, l’évêque l’envoie comme missionnaire dans la région de la baie des Chaleurs. Ce premier ministère au sud de la baie le met en contact avec des pêcheurs acadiens et des Amérindiens. À l’automne de 1790, il est nommé curé de la paroisse du Saint-Enfant-Jésus (à Montréal) et dessert Saint-François-d’Assise (à Montréal).

En septembre 1805, Girouard devient curé à Saint-Hyacinthe où il remplace Pierre Picard. Il a 42 ans et quelques économies. Colonisée depuis moins longtemps que les rives du Saint-Laurent et de la rivière Richelieu, la région de Saint-Hyacinthe où coule la rivière Yamaska est alors au début d’une période de développement rapide. La paroisse de Girouard, établie en 1777, a un curé résidant depuis 1783 seulement ; elle est immense et ses limites en amont de la rivière Yamaska empiètent sur le territoire des Cantons-de-l’Est. Une église en pierre avait été construite quelques années plus tôt. Le nouveau curé fera bâtir un grand presbytère.

Mais, à cette époque, Girouard a d’autres idées en tête, en particulier celle de fonder un collège. Il y a alors au Bas-Canada le séminaire de Québec, le collège Saint-Raphaël et, depuis 1803, le séminaire de Nicolet. François Cherrier*, curé de Saint-Denis, sur le Richelieu, établit une école avec pensionnat pour garçons en 1805, mais elle allait disparaître quelques années plus tard. Dès 1809, Girouard demande à Mgr Joseph-Octave Plessis de bien vouloir lui envoyer un professeur de latin. Il y a des classes dans la sacristie, puis dans la salle des habitants, au presbytère. Très vite, Girouard essaie de convaincre l’évêque de la nécessité de construire un collège. Il estime que le besoin existe et, pour l’essentiel, il a lui-même les ressources nécessaires. Il a également l’appui des seigneurs de la région et il pourrait compter sur une main-d’œuvre bénévole pour le transport des matériaux. Mgr Plessis pense d’abord que c’est trop tôt, car ce serait faire concurrence au séminaire de Nicolet auquel il faut assurer des professeurs, des élèves et des conditions qui lui permettent de boucler son budget. Mais Girouard insiste, écrit lettre sur lettre, particulièrement en 1810, et, à la fin de l’année, Mgr Plessis cède à ses pressions. Il pourra construire, même s’il lui faudra procéder graduellement et ne pas ignorer l’établissement de Nicolet.

L’emplacement du futur collège, dans le village de Saint-Hyacinthe, est donné à Girouard en 1810 par les seigneurs Hyacinthe-Marie Simon, dit Delorme, Pierre-Dominique Debartzch* et Claude Dénéchaud*. Par ailleurs, Girouard achète des terrains où il pourra trouver du bois et du foin, et qu’il pourra éventuellement mettre en valeur au profit du collège. Pendant quelques années, le curé devient un entrepreneur qui achète des matériaux et dirige même des travaux. Il réussit parfois à se faire exempter des droits seigneuriaux. Il obtient quelques dons d’amis curés. Il acquiert à bon compte la maison construite par le curé Picard, il songe à y placer temporairement les collégiens, mais il doit la louer aux troupes lors de la guerre de 1812. Pendant ce temps, le collège, construit d’après les plans de l’abbé Pierre Conefroy*, prend forme. Terminé en 1816, il compte un corps central de deux étages sur rez-de-chaussée, mesurant 88 pieds sur 50, et deux ailes de 24 pieds carrés, de la même hauteur que la partie principale. Toujours en 1816, Girouard, qui entendait aussi depuis quelques années favoriser l’établissement d’un pensionnat pour jeunes filles, accueille dans la maison du curé Picard les religieuses de la Congrégation de Notre-Dame qui y ouvrent une école en août.

En 1818, Girouard demande qu’on nomme un directeur pour le collège ; Joseph-Philippe Lefrançois est nommé l’année suivante. Libéré de la direction en titre, Girouard demeure propriétaire du collège et, jusqu’en 1826, en l’absence d’un procureur, il remplit la majorité des tâches de l’administration temporelle de la maison d’enseignement. C’est à son nom que vont les quelques subventions gouvernementales. Pour la nomination des professeurs, par exemple, mais aussi pour les règlements de discipline des élèves, directeur et fondateur dépendent assez étroitement de l’autorité ecclésiastique. L’orientation générale du collège est ainsi définie, dans un équilibre instable, par l’évêque, le directeur nommé par ce dernier et Girouard, qui a sur l’évêque l’avantage de connaître le milieu et sur le directeur l’avantage de la stabilité.

Source: (visit link)

Translated from the above noted text:

GIROUARD, ANTOINE, Catholic priest and school administrator; b. 7 Oct. 1762 in Boucherville, Quebec, son of Antoine Girouard and Marguerite Chaperon; d.3 Aug. 1832 in Varennes, Lower Canada.

Fatherless from birth, Antoine Girouard successfully studied at Saint-Raphaël College in Montreal from 1773 to 1780, then at the major seminary of Quebec where he was a theology student. He was ordained a priest by the bishop of Quebec, Mgr Louis-Philippe Mariauchau * of Esgly, in the fall of 1785. Almost immediately, the bishop sent him as a missionary to the Chaleur Bay region. This first ministry to the south of the bay put him in contact with Acadian fishermen and Amerindians. In the fall of 1790, he was appointed parish priest of Saint-Enfant-Jésus (in Montreal) and served Saint-François-d’Assise (in Montreal).

In September 1805, Girouard became parish priest in Saint-Hyacinthe where he replaced Pierre Picard. He's 42 years old and has some savings. Colonized for less time than the shores of the St. Lawrence and the Richelieu rivers, the Saint-Hyacinthe region, where the Yamaska ??river flows, was then at the start of a period of rapid development. The parish of Girouard, established in 1777, has had a resident priest since 1783 only; it is immense and its limits upstream of the Yamaska ??river encroach on the territory of the Eastern Townships. A stone church had been built a few years earlier. The new parish priest will build a large presbytery.

But at this time, Girouard had other ideas in mind, in particular that of founding a college. There is then in Lower Canada the seminary of Quebec, the college Saint-Raphaël and, since 1803, the seminary of Nicolet. François Cherrier *, parish priest of Saint-Denis on the Richelieu, established a school with a boarding school for boys in 1805, but it was to disappear a few years later. From 1809, Girouard asked Bishop Joseph-Octave Plessis to send him a Latin teacher. There are classes in the sacristy, then in the residents' room, in the presbytery. Very quickly, Girouard tried to convince the bishop of the need to build a college. He believes the need is there and, for the most part, he has the resources himself. He also has the support of the lords of the region and he could count on volunteer labor to transport materials. Bishop Plessis first thinks that it is too early, because it would be competing with the Nicolet seminary, which must be provided with teachers, students and conditions that allow him to make ends meet. But Girouard insisted, wrote letter after letter, particularly in 1810, and at the end of the year Bishop Plessis gave in to his pressures. He will be able to build, although he will have to proceed gradually and not ignore the establishment of Nicolet.

The location of the future college, in the village of Saint-Hyacinthe, was given to Girouard in 1810 by the lords Hyacinthe-Marie Simon, dit Delorme, Pierre-Dominique Debartzch * and Claude Dénéchaud *. In addition, Girouard buys land where he can find wood and hay, and which he can eventually develop for the benefit of the college. For a few years, the parish priest becomes an entrepreneur who buys materials and even directs works. He sometimes succeeded in being exempted from seigneurial rights. He obtained some donations from friend priests. He acquires cheaply the house built by the priest Picard, he thinks of temporarily placing the college students there, but he must rent it to the troops during the War of 1812. During this time, the college, built according to the plans of Father Pierre Conefroy *, takes shape. Completed in 1816, it has a central body of two floors on the ground floor, measuring 88 feet by 50, and two wings of 24 square feet, the same height as the main part. Also in 1816, Girouard, who for several years had also intended to promote the establishment of a boarding school for young girls, welcomed the nuns of the Congregation of Notre-Dame to the house of Curé Picard, who opened a school there in August.

In 1818, Girouard asked that a director be appointed for the college; Joseph-Philippe Lefrançois was appointed the following year. Released from the current administration, Girouard remained the owner of the college and, until 1826, in the absence of a prosecutor, he fulfilled the majority of the tasks of the temporal administration of the teaching house. The few government grants go to his name. For the appointment of teachers, for example, but also for the disciplinary regulations of the pupils, the director and the founder depend quite closely on ecclesiastical authority. The general orientation of the college is thus defined, in an unstable balance, by the bishop, the director appointed by the latter and Girouard, who has over the bishop the advantage of knowing the environment and over the director the advantage of stability.
Associated Religion(s): Catholique - Catholic

Statue Location: En avant du Séminaire de Saint-Hyacinthe - In front of Saint-Hyacinthe's Seminary

Entrance Fee: Aucun - None

Website: [Web Link]

Artist: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the statue. A waymarker and/or GPSr is not required to be in the image but it doesn't hurt.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Statues of Religious Figures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.