Couvent des Soeurs de la Congrégation de Notre-Dame - Pointe-Claire, Québec
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
N 45° 25.518 W 073° 49.531
18T E 591879 N 5030868
Quick Description: Le couvent des Soeurs de la Congrégation de Notre-Dame, érigé en 1867, est situé sur l'avenue Saint-Joachim - The convent of the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre-Dame, erected in 1867, is located on Saint-Joachim Avenue.
Location: Québec, Canada
Date Posted: 2/20/2021 7:37:08 AM
Waymark Code: WM13V22
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
Le couvent des sœurs de la congrégation de Notre-Dame était autrefois un lieu plein de vie. Fondée par Marguerite Bourgeoys, la congrégation de Notre-Dame de Montréal s’occupe de l’éducation des jeunes filles depuis 1653. Installée à Pointe-Claire depuis 1784, l’école est reconnue en 1831 pour son excellence « par rapport à l’éducation élémentaire, à la modestie et la politesse qu’on y enseigne ».

Le premier couvent construit en 1787 étant en mauvais état, les sœurs en font construire un nouveau selon les plans de Henri-Maurice Perrault, à côté du moulin, en 1867. Elles obtiennent de la fabrique l’usufruit de la Pointe. Ce chef-d’œuvre du classicisme anglais est sauvé de la destruction par des citoyens de Pointe-Claire en 1961.

Les dernières religieuses ayant quitté le couvent en 2014, la Pointe doit trouver une nouvelle vocation. Toujours vide en 2018, le bâtiment est parfois utilisé pour des tournages. Comme la Pointe est officiellement protégée depuis 2013, un potentiel acheteur du couvent, qu’il soit privé ou public, devra respecter les règles patrimoniales. C’est donc au tour de la Société pour la Sauvegarde du Patrimoine de Pointe-Claire de se mobiliser pour préserver ce lieu emblématique qui a donné son nom à la ville."

Source: (visit link)

Translated from the above noted text:

The convent of the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre-Dame was once a place full of life. Founded by Marguerite Bourgeoys, the Congregation of Notre-Dame de Montréal has been concerned with the education of young girls since 1653. Established in Pointe-Claire since 1784, the school is recognized in 1831 for its excellence "in relation to the elementary education, with the modesty and politeness that is taught there ”.

The first convent built in 1787 being in poor condition, the sisters built a new one according to the plans of Henri-Maurice Perrault, next to the mill, in 1867. They obtained the usufruct of the Pointe from the factory. This masterpiece of English classicism was saved from destruction by the citizens of Pointe-Claire in 1961.

The last nuns having left the convent in 2014, La Pointe must find a new vocation. Still empty in 2018, the building is sometimes used for filming. As the Pointe has been officially protected since 2013, a potential buyer of the convent, whether private or public, will have to respect the patrimonial rules. It is therefore the turn of the Society for the Protection of the Heritage of Pointe-Claire to mobilize to preserve this emblematic place which gave its name to the city. "
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Couvent des Soeurs de la Congrégation de Notre-Dame - Convent of the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre-Dame

Address:
Avenue Saint-Joachim
Pointe-Claire, Québec Canada


Religious affiliation: Catholique - Catholic

Date founded/constructed: 1867

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Converted to Other Use

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.