Montée royale d'Arlon - Arlon, Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 49° 41.037 E 005° 48.956
31U E 703116 N 5507298
Quick Description: [EN] The Royal Climb is a stepped ramp built on the Knippchen ’(the little hill’) in Arlon. [FR] La montée royale est une rampe en escalier construite sur la ‘Knippchen’ (la ‘petite colline’), à Arlon.
Location: Luxembourg, Belgium
Date Posted: 2/18/2021 1:31:36 PM
Waymark Code: WM13TRJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:

"Built in the 17th century, it links the Place Camille Cerf to the square of the Saint-Donat church, built at the highest point of the historic center of the city of Arlon. The climb is listed as a Walloon heritage.

This ramp, built in the 17th century by a Spanish engineer, leads inside the ramparts of the ancient city, to the top of a small central hill - locally called 'Knippchen' - where since 1621 the convent and the Capuchin church: Saint-Donat. Originally, the royal climb was made up of seven platforms separated by three steps. The ramp connects Hetchegass ’, one of Arlon's oldest quarters to the top of the Knippchen.

Following the occupation by Louis XIV's troops, it had to be rebuilt (1735). The "Royal Way of the Cross" then comprises nine stations.

The staircase collapsed in 1830 and a new ramp was built. Following a further collapse, repairs were made in 1851. The short flights of stairs were gently curving and interrupted by terraces which did not necessarily correspond to the stations of the Stations of the Cross. The 14 stations (1846), all on the right side of the climb, are identical. They each have only one crucifix. On the foot of the stone crosses (indicating the "stations"). the theme of the station, almost entirely erased by time, is engraved in French and in the local language. At the bottom of the ramp are two columns, one supporting Saint Donatus and the other Christ carrying his cross.

This climb, which is part of a very busy tourist complex in Arlon (Saint-Donat Church and surroundings, ramparts, belvedere and green cloister), has been listed as part of the Walloon real estate heritage since 1992. "

Sources : The Stairs from what Wikipedia tells us.

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

"Aménagée au XVIIe siècle elle relie la place Camille Cerf au parvis de l’église Saint-Donat, construite au point culminant du centre historique de la ville d’Arlon. La montée est classée au patrimoine de Wallonie.

Cette rampe, construite au XVIIe siècle par un ingénieur espagnol, conduit à l’intérieur des remparts de l’ancienne ville, au sommet d’une petite colline centrale - appelée localement ‘Knippchen’ - où se trouvent depuis 1621 le couvent et l’église des Capucins : Saint-Donat. A l'origine, la montée royale est composée de sept plates-formes séparées par trois marches. La rampe relie l’Hetchegass’, un des plus vieux quartiers d’Arlon au sommet de la Knippchen.

Suite à l'occupation par les troupes de Louis XIV, elle doit être reconstruite (1735). Le "chemin royal de la croix" comporte alors neufs stations.

L'escalier s'effondre en 1830 et une nouvelle rampe est construite. A la suite d’un nouvel effondrement des réparations sont faites en 1851. En courbe douce les courtes volées d’escaliers sont interrompues par des terrasses qui ne correspondent pas nécessairement aux stations du chemin de croix. Les 14 stations (1846), toutes sur le côté droit de la montée, sont identiques. Elles ne comportent chacune qu’un crucifix. Sur le pied des croix de pierre (indiquant les ‘stations’). le thème de la station, presqu'entièrement effacé par le temps, est gravé en français et en langue locale. Au bas de la rampe se trouvent deux colonnes, l'une supportant saint Donat et l'autre le Christ portant sa croix.

Cette montée qui fait partie d’un ensemble touristique arlonais très fréquenté (Église Saint-Donat et alentours, remparts, belvédère et cloître de verdure), est classée au patrimoine immobilier de Wallonie depuis 1992. "

Sources : Les Escaliers d’après ce que nous dit Wikipédia.

Group that erected the marker: Arlon Town Hall / Mairie d'Arlon

URL of a web site with more information about the history mentioned on the sign: [Web Link]

Address of where the marker is located. Approximate if necessary:
Arlon, Luxembourg Belgium
6700


Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, preferably including yourself or your GPSr in the photo. A very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo. In any case please provide a description of your visit. A description of only "Visited" or "Saw it while on vacation" by anyone other than the person creating the waymark may be deleted by the waymark owner or the category officers.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Signs of History
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
pmaupin visited Montée royale d'Arlon - Arlon, Belgium 8/27/2020 pmaupin visited it