Memorial to 15th (Isle of Man) Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment - The Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, The Royal Chapel - St. John's, Isle of Man
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Mike_bjm
N 54° 12.213 W 004° 38.411
30U E 393016 N 6007411
Quick Description: This memorial board is on the rear wall of the South transept of The Royal Chapel in the village of St. John's.
Location: Isle of Man
Date Posted: 1/23/2021 10:01:10 AM
Waymark Code: WM13PEY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member ištván
Views: 0

Long Description:
This memorial board is in memory of the Officers and Men of the 15th (Isle of Man) L.A.A. Regt. R.A. T.A. on the rear wall of the South transept of The Royal Chapel in the village of St. John's.

The board has 7 columns, of which 5 list a total of 81 names giving their rank. The remaining columns list countries and theatres of operations where the Regiment was deployed. Underneath the columns is inscribed: "Greater love hath no man than this."

The dedication at the top of the boards is as follows:

'TO THE PROUD MEMORY
OF THE OFFICERS AND MEN
OF THE 15TH (I.O.M.) L.A.A REGT. R.A T.A.
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE
SECOND WORLD WAR
1939 -1945'


'This memorial was originally sited in Douglas Drill Hall, Tromode and was put in store on 19 June 1968 when the hall underwent a change of use. On 19 June 1968, a Ceremony of Unveiling and re-dedication took place at the Legislative Buildings before it was erected in a Government office. The new unveiling was conducted by His Excellency Sir Peter Stallard, K.C.M.G.., C.V.O., M.B.E., Lieut. Governor. The memorial was later removed when the building was refurbished, and was erected in its final resting place at the Royal Chapel, St Johns, on 11 November 2004.'
(visit link)

The board was originally unveiled on 23 November 1952 in the presence of Lieutenant General Sir George Erskine KBE, CB, DSO. (visit link)

'The Manx Regiment – the 15th (Isle of Man) Light Anti Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery – was raised in 1938 as a Territorial Army (TA) unit of the British Army. It recruited on the Isle of Man and formed part of Anti-Aircraft Command at the outbreak of World War II. The regiment was posted to the Middle East in November 1940, serving in the Western Desert, East Africa and Crete (where one of its batteries was lost). In August 1942 it became the air defence regiment for the 7th Armoured Division (the 'Desert Rats'). It served with the division through the North African, Italian and North West European campaigns. It was reformed in the postwar TA as 515 (Isle of Man) Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment before being reduced to a staff troop in 42nd (Lancashire) Division in 1955.' (visit link)
Date of Dedication: 11/23/1952

Property Permission: Public

Access times: From: 9:30 AM To: 4:00 PM

Website for Waymark: [Web Link]

Location of waymark:
The Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, The Royal Chapel
Main Road
St. John's, Isle of Man
IM4 3NA


Commemoration: The Officers and Men of the 15th (Isle of Man) L.A.A. Regt. R.A. T.A who gave their lives in WWII.

Access instructions: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Include a photo containing, at minimum, the monument and your GPSr. We'd prefer a photo containing YOU at the monument, but we understand that some people are camera-shy.
Also include a bit about your visit here.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World War II Memorials / Monuments
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.