Saltpetre Manufactured for Confederate Government - New Braunfels, TX USA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member WayBetterFinder
N 29° 42.720 W 098° 08.255
14R E 583418 N 3287184
Quick Description: Captain Wm. Seekatz and his associates processed bat guano in New Braunfels, TX in 1863 to extract saltpetre for use by the Confederate government. It is found in Landa Park west of 153 Landa Park Drive, New Braunfels, TX .
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 1/13/2021 7:01:17 AM
Waymark Code: WM13N69
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
Saltpetre is a potassium salt used in making gunpowder, rocket propellents, and fireworks. It is also used as a culinary additive to soups or to soften meats. From the context of the marker, this processing plant was extracting saltpetre from guano (dried bat poop) in order to help the Confederate Army manufacture gunpowder, rocket propellent or related explosives.

Although this gray granite marker is not an official Texas State historical marker, it is a marker that was designated by the City of New Braunfels, TX as a a city historic landmark and has a small attachment at the bottom of the marker stating it is a city landmark.

For having only two sentences engraved in the marker, there was a lot of history worked into the phrasing of it. It names military leaders, business associates, honors for Captain Wm. Seekatz, and tells of supplying saltpetre to the Confederate Army! At the bottom part of the marker, a phrase "Erected b his son Frank Pl Seekatz" tells a lot about the Seekatz family's contributions and importance to New Braunfels.

The wording etched into the gray granite marker reads as follows:

"This monument marks the location
Where in 1863 Capt. Wm. Seekatz,
one of the founders and oldest settlers
and later Captain of the first Boy Scout troop
of New Braunfels, Texas
Ed. Braden, Joe Nee, Jack Marshall and Ed. Dreiss
associates manufactured saltpetre from guano
brought from a cave 3 miles west of this park
for the Confederate government.
By order of Maj. Reed and Capt. Harrison
of the Nitro and Raining Dept., Western Hist. Tex.

Erected by his son Frank P. Seekatz
1938"


Below the date of 1938 is an added metal marker placed by the City of New Braunfels, Texas that reads:

"Historic Landmark
Designated by Ciry Ordinance
City Counsel
New Braunfels Texas

Link to TSHAonline.org article on the Nitro and Mining Department of Confederate Army:
(visit link)
Group that erected the marker: "Erected by his son Frank P. Seekatz"

URL of a web site with more information about the history mentioned on the sign: [Web Link]

Address of where the marker is located. Approximate if necessary:
153 Landa Park Drive
New Braunfels, TX USA
78130


Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, preferably including yourself or your GPSr in the photo. A very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo. In any case please provide a description of your visit. A description of only "Visited" or "Saw it while on vacation" by anyone other than the person creating the waymark may be deleted by the waymark owner or the category officers.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Signs of History
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
WayBetterFinder visited Saltpetre Manufactured for Confederate Government - New Braunfels, TX USA 1/13/2021 WayBetterFinder visited it