Eros Fountain In Sefton Park - Liverpool, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member dtrebilc
N 53° 22.987 W 002° 56.344
30U E 504052 N 5914892
Quick Description: This fountain in the middle of Sefton Park, Liverpool is a replica of the Eros fountain in London, and the statue on top is a replica of the replica.
Location: North West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/9/2021 10:17:58 AM
Waymark Code: WM13MNT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 0

Long Description:
A nearby information board has the following information.
Sefton Park

Sefton Park covers an area of approximately 110 hectares. Historically it formed part of the ancient Toxteth Deer Park. In the 1860s land was purchased by the Council from the Earl of Sefton and Mr Livingstone to create Sefton p[ark.

In November 1866 the brief for the competition to design the Park was issued. The first prize was 300 guineas. the winner was the partnership of the French landscape architect Edouard Andre, the Gardener-in-Chief for Paris, and Lewis Hornblower, a Liverpool architect. The cost of their design was estimated at £85,000, but in reality it cost approximately £147,000 to complete. The park was opened on 20 May 1872 by His Royal Highness Prince Arthur.
Eros Fountain

The Eros Fountain is a replica of a memorial to Lord Shaftesbury (1801-1885), created by Sir Alfred Gilbert in London's Piccadilly Circus.

George Audley of Liverpool was so impressed by Eros that he commissioned a replica to be made for Sefton Park, adding to his earlier gift to the Park of the Peter Pan statue (1928). The fountain was unveiled in 1932.

The figure sitting on top of the fountain is Anteros, one of the Greek Gods of Requited Love, which has become (incorrectly) known as Eros. The aluminium Eros here is a replacement of the original, which was too badly corroded for outdoor use and is now on display in the National Conservation Centre, Liverpool. The original represents an early use of aluminium sculpture. The fountain was reopened in 2008.

Gilbert is said to have preferred the Sefton Park Eros due to its beautiful setting and because its jets of water were closer to his original idea.
The original fountain

"The Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain, popularly but incorrectly known as "Eros", is a fountain surmounted by a winged statue of Anteros, located at the southeastern side of Piccadilly Circus in London, England. Moved after World War II from its original position in the centre of the circus, it was erected in 1892–93 to commemorate the philanthropic works of Anthony Ashley Cooper, 7th Earl of Shaftesbury, the Victorian politician and philanthropist, and his achievement in replacing child labour with school education. The fountain overlooks the south-west end of Shaftesbury Avenue, also named for the Earl.

Alfred Gilbert's use of a nude figure on a public monument was controversial at the time of its construction, but it was generally well received by the public. The Magazine of Art described it as "a striking contrast to the dull ugliness of the generality of our street sculpture, ... a work which, while beautifying one of our hitherto desolate open spaces, should do much towards the elevation of public taste in the direction of decorative sculpture, and serve freedom for the metropolis from any further additions of the old order of monumental monstrosities." The statue has been called "London's most famous work of sculpture"; a graphical illustration of it is used as the symbol of the Evening Standard newspaper and appears on its masthead. It was the first sculpture in the world to be cast in aluminium and is set on a bronze fountain, which itself inspired the marine motifs that Gilbert carved on the statue.

Although the statue is generally known as Eros, it was created as an image of that Greek god's brother, Anteros. The sculptor Alfred Gilbert had already sculpted a statue of Anteros and, when commissioned for the Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain, chose to reproduce the same subject, who, as "The God of Selfless Love" was deemed to represent the philanthropic 7th Earl of Shaftesbury suitably. Gilbert described Anteros as portraying "reflective and mature love, as opposed to Eros or Cupid, the frivolous tyrant." Gilbert commented on his reason for the statue, saying:

As to the figure surmounting the whole if I must confess to a meaning or a raison d être for its being there I confess to have been actuated in its design by a desire to symbolise the work of Lord Shaftesbury the blindfolded Love sending forth indiscriminately yet with purpose his missile of kindness always with the swiftness the bird has from its wings never ceasing to breathe or reflect critically but ever soaring onwards regardless of its own peril and dangers.

The model for the sculpture was Gilbert's studio assistant, a 16-year-old Anglo-Italian, Angelo Colarossi (born 1875 in Shepherd's Bush). Fernando Meacci was involved in the moulding of the fountain and it was probably cast by George Broad & Son.

The memorial was unveiled by the Duke of Westminster on 29 June 1893. Following the unveiling there were numerous complaints. Some felt it was sited in a vulgar part of town (the theatre district), and others felt that it was too sensual as a memorial for a famously sober and respectable Earl. Some of the objections were tempered by renaming the statue as The Angel of Christian Charity, which was the nearest approximation that could be invented in Christian terms for the role Anteros played in the Greek pantheon. However, the name never became widely known and the statue was thence referred to as Eros, the god of sensual love; inappropriate some said in relation to the Earl's commemoration, but hailed by others as an ironic representation of the more carnal side of the neighbourhood, into which Soho had developed.

The whole memorial has been removed from the circus twice in its history. In 1922, construction began on the new tube station directly beneath the memorial. The memorial was therefore taken away and put in Embankment Gardens. It returned to Piccadilly Circus in 1931, but when the Second World War broke out in 1939, the statue only was removed for safety and kept in Egham. It did not return to Piccadilly Circus again until 1948.

The statue was again removed in the 1980s – this time for restoration – and resited upon its return in February 1985. During the restoration a set of plaster casts was unearthed in the basements of the Victoria and Albert Museum which revealed damage to the statue. The statue was also vandalised in 1990 and after radiography and restoration returned in 1994. In May 2012 the statue had a new bow string fitted after the original was broken by a tourist.

In the winter of 2013–14, the statue was covered with a PVC snow globe featuring internal fans blowing the "snowflakes". This also had the function of protecting the statue from vandalism and it was planned to return in subsequent years. However, strong winds caused the globe to become damaged and deflate and it was not subsequently repaired. In winter 2014–15, octagonal advertising hoardings forming a box for giant Christmas presents had a similar function." link
Where is original located?: Piccadilly Circus, London

Where is this replica located?: Sefton Park, Liverpool

Who created the original?: Sir Alfred Gilbert

Internet Link about Original: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaftesbury_Memorial_Fountain

Year Original was Created (approx. ok): 1893

Visit Instructions:
Post at least one photo of the replica.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Exact Replicas
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.