Forte de Leça da Palmeira - Matosinhos, Portugal
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member razalas
N 41° 11.266 W 008° 42.117
29T E 524995 N 4559644
Quick Description: [PT]Forte de Leça da Palmeira, também denominado como Forte de Nossa Senhora das Neves. [ENG]Forte de Leça da Palmeira, also known as Forte de Nossa Senhora das Neves.
Location: Porto, Portugal
Date Posted: 1/6/2021 12:54:45 PM
Waymark Code: WM13MB6
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member coisos
Views: 1

Long Description:
[PT]
As suas obras iniciaram-se sob a Dinastia Filipina, em 1638 ou 1639, por determinação de D. João Rodrigues Sá e Menezes, 1º Conde de Penaguião, no local de Santa Catarina, visando a defesa daquele porto contra as ameaças de piratas e corsários. Ficaram a cargo do Capitão António Francisco Chorão.
Após a Restauração da Independência portuguesa, considerando a sua grande importância estratégica para a defesa da barra, os oficiais da Câmara Municipal do Porto, em 1642, pediram ao Rei que se terminassem as obras com a maior brevidade. As suas obras foram retomadas, em 1646, instituindo-se, por Alvará de 1648, uma guarnição de seis soldados pagos para esta fortificação. Segundo um documento lavrado por um tabelião do Porto, em 1655 ainda as obras não se tinham concluído, cuidando-se da despesa da artilharia da fortificação.
Um Relatório de 1701 dá conta de que a fortificação ainda se encontrava incompleta, embora artilhada com quatro peças e guarnecida por oito soldados sob o comando de um tenente. Acredita-se que o forte tenha sido concluído em 1720.
Durante as Guerras Liberais, em 1832, o forte foi objecto de algumas benfeitorias, nomeadamente nos armazéns, ponte levadiça, escada do fosso e parapeitos, mantendo, ainda, algumas canhoneiras ao nível da magistral.
No século XX, as suas instalações foram entregues à Capitania do Porto de Leixões que nelas se instalou, fazendo erguer em seu terrapleno alguns edifícios para alojamento de pessoal, que descaracterizaram o conjunto.
Encontra-se classificado como Imóvel de Interesse Público por Decreto publicado em 5 de Dezembro de 1961, em boas condições de conservação.

[ENG]
His works began under the Philippine Dynasty, in 1638 or 1639, for determination of D. Joao Rodrigues and Sá Menezes, 1st Count of Penaguião in place of Santa Catarina, to the defense of that port against threats from pirates and privateers. Were in charge Captain António Francisco Chorão.
After the Restoration of Portuguese Independence, considering its great strategic importance to the defense bar, the officers of the Municipality of Porto in 1642, asked the King to finish the works is as soon as possible. His works were resumed in 1646, establishing, for the 1648 Permit, a garrison of six soldiers paid for this fortification. According to a document drawn up by a notary from Porto in 1655 still works had not been completed, carefully preserving the expense of the artillery fortification.
A 1701 report gives an account of the fort was still incomplete, although with four artillery pieces and manned by eight soldiers under the command of a lieutenant. It is believed that the fort was completed in 1720.
During the Liberal Wars in 1832, the fort has undergone some improvements, notably in warehouses, drawbridge, moat and stair railings, retaining still some gunboats at the level of masterful.
In the twentieth century, its facilities were handed over to the Captaincy of the Port of establishing themselves, making up its embankment in some buildings for staff accommodation, which rules out the set.
It is listed as a Public Interest by Decree published on December 5, 1961, in good preservation conditions.

Fonte: (visit link)
Webpage of the IPA Database entry: [Web Link]

Code Number at the IPA Databse: IPA.00000214

Visit Instructions:
[EN]
 - Please provide at least one photo you have taken of the site. 
- Write something about your visit to the site.
[PT]
- Pelo menos uma foto tirada por ti no local. 
- Escreve algo sobre a tua visita ao local.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Portuguese Inventory of Architectural Patrimony
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.