Stained Glass Window Saint Ursula Catholic Church - Parkville MD
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Don.Morfe
N 39° 23.010 W 076° 32.040
18S E 367885 N 4360457
Quick Description: This stained glass window is on the left in the far back as you enter the church from the main entrance. The plaque reads "Given by Daniel Morfe in Memory of the Morfe family". This is my grandfather.
Location: Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 1/1/2021 3:53:53 PM
Waymark Code: WM13KM5
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:
From the St. Ursula website below: In the early part of the twentieth century, Parkville was a rapidly growing community. Like many areas on the outskirts of Baltimore, families were spreading outward and neighborhood services came with them. By 1894, Parkville had a blacksmith shop, three saloons, a hotel and a general store. Hiss Methodist Church had been established in 1839 and St. John Lutheran Church was founded in 1887. Catholics in the area attended St. Dominic Church in Hamilton by using the trolley that, according to Father Edward Braham, "lurched and swayed like a camel". To miss the trolley meant an intolerable wait. After giving the last blessing of the Mass, Father Manley was accustomed to warn his congregation to make a run for it, should they wish to catch the trolley for the country.
By the 1920's, Rev. John Manley, pastor of St. Dominic's, foresaw the burgeoning of suburbia, and on February 16, 1926, he purchased a piece of land on the west side of Harford Road near Manns Avenue from Abraham Niefeld for $6,500 to establish the mission church of St. Ursula. His assistant, Fr. Braham, undertook the task of raising the money for the property. As he began this endeavor, Fr. Braham found that the parishioners were not merely acquaintances, but true friends willing to assist his efforts for God and souls. With the people in the community, he ran a series of successful fundraisers, from Christmas card and bake sales to bridge parties, baby shows and suppers. When the debt was paid, then it was time for a church. Fr. Braham needed to raise an additional $10,000 to build a church. Again, there was a new round of socials and parties to raise money. Through the volunteer efforts of a few local men, a frame hall was constructed on the site. Children immediately began to prepare for their First Holy Communion and Confirmation.
Type of building where window is located: Church

8801 Harford Road
Parkville, MD USA

Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Days of Operation: Sunday

Hours of Operation: From: 7:00 AM To: 12:00 PM

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.