Fenster kath. Pfarrkirche St. Stephan und Georg - Polch, RP, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
N 50° 17.950 E 007° 18.830
32U E 379912 N 5573254
Quick Description: Bunte Fenster in der kath. Pfarrkirche St. Stephan und Georg in Polch.
Location: Saarland, Germany
Date Posted: 12/22/2020 5:58:39 AM
Waymark Code: WM13J0K
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:
[DE] "Die neue katholische Pfarrkirche St. Stephanus wurde zwischen 1849 und 1852
erbaut und durch den Trierer Bischof Arnoldi am 22. September feierlich eröffnet. Schon von Weitem sind die zwei markanten Osttürme sehr gut zu erkennen.

Die alte Pfarrkirche
Erzbischof Johann von Trier überließ 1196 die Kirche zu „Poleche“ dem Stift zu Münstermaifeld, was durch eine Urkunde vom 18. Juli 1212 bestätigt wird. Auskunft über das Datum der Errichtung gibt die Inschrift auf einem abgebrochenen Altar. „ANNO DOMINI MCCIX CONSECRATA EST HAEC ECCLESIA SANCTI STEPHANI AD VI. KAL. JULII DEDICATIO HUIUS ALTARIS ET ECCLESIAE.“ (Müller 1990, S. 7). Der Altar wurde 1209 nach der Fertigstellung der Kirche eingeweiht. Somit ist die Pfarrkirche vor 1200 errichtet worden.

Die Pfarrkirche stellte eine dreischiffige, flachgedeckte, romanische Basilika aus verputztem Bruchstein dar. Diese bestand aus einem Chorgeviert, zwei Nebenchören und einem dreigeschossigen Ostglockenturm. Bereits im 18. Jahrhundert galt sie als zu klein und in einem zu schlechten Zustand, woraufhin die Planungen und Verhandlungen der neuen Kirche begannen.
Teile der alten Kirche wurden erhalten, wie die Steinigung des hl. Stephanus ins Relief und die Heiligenfiguren von den Altären.

Baugeschichte der neuen Pfarrkirche
Seit 1843 wurden Verhandlungen über den Neubau geführt. Diese gestalteten sich jedoch schwierig, da Bauplatz und Architekt unklar waren. Erst 1849 beschloss man, den Altbau abzubauen und an dessen Platz eine neue Pfarrkirche zu errichten und den Auftrag Hermann Nebel zu überlassen. Dies geschah letzten Endes im September 1849 und dauerte bis 1852 an.

Zwischen den zwei Osttürmen sind eine offene dreibogige Eingangshalle und eine freie und vorgelagerte Treppe zu finden. Außen wird die Kirche durch Strebepfeiler gegliedert, davon ausgenommen sind die Türme und der Chor. In den zwei Türmen befinden sich insgesamt vier Glocken, welche durch ihre Schwingungen Risse in der Fassade verursachten. 1966/67 erfolgten die Sanierungsarbeiten. Drei der Glocken sind historische Bronzeglocken, die vermutlich schon Bestandteil der alten Kirche gewesen sind. Die Inschriften in gotischen Minuskeln in den Glocken geben Auskunft über das Alter. Die erste Glocke stammt aus dem Jahr 1476, die zweite und die dritte Glocke stammen aus dem Jahr 1514."

(visit link)

[EN] "The new Catholic parish church of St. Stephanus was built between 1849 and 1852.
and was solemnly opened by Bishop Arnoldi of Trier on September 22. Even from a distance, the two distinctive eastern towers are very easy to recognize.

The old parish church
Archbishop Johann of Trier gave the church at "Poleche" to the monastery at Münstermaifeld in 1196, which is confirmed by a document dated July 18, 1212. Information about the date of construction is given by the inscription on a broken altar. "ANNO DOMINI MCCIX CONSECRATA EST HAEC ECCLESIA SANCTI STEPHANI AD VI. KAL. JULII DEDICATIO HUIUS ALTARIS ET ECCLESIAE." (Müller 1990, p. 7). The altar was consecrated in 1209 after the completion of the church. Thus, the parish church was built before 1200.

The parish church represented a three-nave, flat-roofed, Romanesque basilica of plastered rubble stone. It consisted of a chancel, two side chancels and a three-story east bell tower. Already in the 18th century it was considered too small and in too bad a condition, whereupon the planning and negotiations of the new church began.
Parts of the old church were preserved, such as the stoning of St. Stephen in relief and the figures of saints from the altars.

Building history of the new parish church
Since 1843 there were negotiations about the new building. However, these turned out to be difficult, as the building site and architect were unclear. It was not until 1849 that the decision was made to demolish the old building and build a new parish church on its site, leaving the job to Hermann Nebel. This finally happened in September 1849 and lasted until 1852.

Between the two eastern towers there is an open three-arched entrance hall and a free and front staircase. Outside, the church is divided by buttresses, except for the towers and the choir. In the two towers there are a total of four bells, which caused cracks in the facade due to their vibrations. In 1966/67 the renovation works were carried out. Three of the bells are historical bronze bells, which were probably already part of the old church. The inscriptions in Gothic minuscules in the bells provide information about their age. The first bell dates back to 1476, the second and the third bell date back to 1514."

Translated with Deepl Translator
Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
Polch,
56751


Days of Operation: mo - su

Hours of Operation: From: 12:00 AM To: 12:00 AM

Admission Charge: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.