Les Vitraux de l'Eglise Sainte-Marie-Madeleine - Vendôme, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 47° 47.650 E 001° 03.917
31T E 355108 N 5295235
Quick Description: [EN] [EN] The stained glass windows of the Sainte-Marie-Madeleine church were made in the 1870s. [FR] Les vitraux de l'église Sainte-Marie-Madeleine ont été réalisés dans les années 1870.
Location: Centre-Val-de-Loire, France
Date Posted: 12/15/2020 6:30:39 AM
Waymark Code: WM13H4A
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:

"The building originally had a very simple plan: the nave, covered with a paneled carpentry with carved and polychrome entrances, was terminated by a three-sided apse.

The remains of visible columns visible in the angles suggest that the vault with liernes and tiercerons was not the initial way of covering the apse.

A bell tower flanked the northwest corner. Its polygonal stone spire, with prominent ridges adorned with hooks, rises above a chamber of bells pierced by bays in broken arch, surmounted by an octagonal drum, lit by trilobed arrayed windows, flanked by pinnacles and crowned with a openwork balustrade of flamboyant motifs. The simplicity of party was later abandoned in favor of a collateral building.

In 1523, Jacques Malon, controller of the salt store, built a chapel at the corner of the nave and the bell tower. During the 16th century, the church received a north aisle, which was then joined to the Malon seigniorial chapel to form a collateral of six spans covered with rib vaults and opening largely on the central ship by arcades in third-point. In 1680, shallow chapels and a sacristy were added to the south.

The project of rebuilding the church, given by the architect Vendome E. Marganne, having been rejected, in the last quarter of the 19th century, the church was enlarged, on the south side, by three last small chapels. A platform was built to carry the organ and a new sacristy was attached to the apse.

This church of the age of reconstruction, has preserved, despite the enlargements of which it was the object at various times, a certain architectural quality. It testifies to the richness of the flamboyant Gothic architecture in Vendôme, which then asserted itself without constraint, thanks to the patronage of the Countess Marie de Luxembourg, the bell tower of the Saint-Martin church, in the Saint chapel -Jacques and the exceptional facade of the Trinity.

To accompany the painted and sculpted decoration produced between 1878 and 1895, the side windows were adorned with stained glass windows designed and manufactured in the main workshops of the region, by the Touraine glassmakers Lucien-Léopold Lobin and his successor, Jean -Prosper Florence, Julien Fournier, and Charles Lorin, from Chartres. This set of glass roofs constitutes an interesting testimony to the art of stained glass at the end of the 19th century.

It enlightens us on the personality, the intentions of the donors, as well as on the circumstances in which these works were commissioned. It restores the aesthetic climate in which religious art was bathed at that time. It is also necessary to underline the historical interest of the stained glass window of the bay of axis which brings together original panels posed at the end of the 15th century, and stained glasses coming from the vault of Jacques Malon. "

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

" L'édifice présentait à l'origine un plan très simple : la nef couverte d'une charpente lambrissée à entraits sculptés et polychromes, était terminée par une abside à trois pans.

Les vestiges de colonnes engagées visibles dans les angles laissent supposer que la voûte à liernes et tiercerons ne fut pas le mode de couvrement initial de l'abside.

Un clocher flanquait l'angle nord-ouest. Sa flèche de pierre polygonale, aux arêtes saillantes garnies de crochets, s'élève au-dessus d'une chambre des cloches percée de baies en arc brisé, que surmonte un tambour octogonal, éclairé par des baies à réseau trilobé, flanqué de pinacles et couronné d'une balustrade ajourée de motifs flamboyants. La simplicité de parti fut ensuite abandonnée au profit d'un édifice à collatéraux.

En 1523, Jacques Malon, contrôleur du grenier à sel, fit construire une chapelle à l'angle de la nef et du clocher. Au cours du 16e siècle, l'église reçut un bas-côté nord, qui fut ensuite réuni à la chapelle seigneuriale des Malon pour former un collatéral de six travées couvertes de voûtes d'ogives et s'ouvrant largement sur le vaisseau central par des arcades en tiers-point. En 1680, des chapelles peu profondes et une sacristie furent ajoutées au sud.

Le projet de reconstruction de l'église, donné par l'architecte vendômois E. Marganne, ayant été rejeté, dans le dernier quart du 19e siècle, l'église fut agrandie, côté sud, par trois dernières petites chapelles. Une tribune fut construite pour porter l'orgue et une nouvelle sacristie fut accolée à l'abside.

Cette église de l'âge de la reconstruction, a conservé, malgré les agrandissements dont elle fut l'objet à diverses époques, une certaine qualité architecturale. Elle témoigne de la richesse de l'architecture gothique flamboyante à Vendôme qui, ensuite, s'affirma sans contrainte, grâce au mécénat de la comtesse Marie de Luxembourg, à la tour-clocher de l'église Saint-Martin, à la chapelle Saint-Jacques et à l'exceptionnelle façade de la Trinité.

Pour accompagner le décor peint et sculpté réalisé entre 1878 et 1895, les baies des collatéraux furent garnies de vitraux conçus et fabriqués dans les principaux ateliers de la région, par les maîtres-verriers tourangeaux Lucien-Léopold Lobin et son successeur, Jean-Prosper Florence, Julien Fournier, et Charles Lorin, de Chartres. Cet ensemble de verrières constitue un témoignage intéressant sur l'art du vitrail à la fin du 19e siècle.

Il nous éclaire sur la personnalité, les intentions des donateurs, ainsi que sur les circonstances dans lesquelles ces oeuvres ont été commandées. Il restitue le climat esthétique dans lequel baignait l'art religieux à cette époque. Il faut aussi souligner l'intérêt historique du vitrail de la baie d'axe qui réunit des panneaux d'origine posés à la fin du 15e siècle, et des vitraux provenant de la chapelle de Jacques Malon."

Sources : L’Eglise

Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
Place de la Madeleine ; rue Saint-Jacques
Vendôme, Loir-et-Cher France
41100


Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Days of Operation: 7/7

Hours of Operation: From: 9:00 AM To: 6:00 PM

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Les Vitraux de l'Eglise Sainte-Marie-Madeleine - Vendôme, France 10/12/2020 pmaupin visited it